Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Slouch Hat Puggaree Coloured 'Pleat'?

tankengine888

G'day!
RELAWM05441
Pompey Elliots hat
BRIGADIER 'Pompey' Elliot, Commanding 15th Brigade, who won a DCM in the Boer War, and later committed suicide in 1931...

His slouch hat has a pleat in the puggaree which seems a dark green colour.. What did this mean? I also realize that later slouch hats had similar pleats in the 30's and Second World War.
Link to Original Hat
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C106587?image=1

I wait, TTFN!

47 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

G'day!
RELAWM05441
Pompey Elliots hat
BRIGADIER 'Pompey' Elliot, Commanding 15th Brigade, who won a DCM in the Boer War, and later committed suicide in 1931...

His slouch hat has a pleat in the puggaree which seems a dark green colour.. What did this mean? I also realize that later slouch hats had similar pleats in the 30's and Second World War.
Link to Original Hat
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C106587?image=1

I wait, TTFN!

Inserting a pleat was a stylised way to add regimental distinction to a puggaree, and a feature of the 20th Century on tropical headdress such as Sun helmets of various patterns and Slouch hats (aka Terai hats).  The colour chosen often reflected the regimental facing colour. Green might relate to a rifle styled regiment or perhaps light infantry.  Other features were the number of pleats (tucks) in the puggaree, which might be e.g. front and rear, or on all four sides.

Edited by FROGSMILE

31 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

pleat in the puggaree which seems a dark green colour

The explanation is in the AWM link you quoted.  The AIF had a plain puggaree during WW1.  Boer War and some pre-war militia units had a coloured pleat.

"The puggaree was issued to Elliot during his pre- First World War service with the Essendon Rifles and transferred from hat to hat as a mascot throughout the War"

Pompey would have gone through several slouch hats and by the time my grandfather photographed him when they both sailed back on the Orontes in 1919, the battered hat in the AWM image has been replaced with a marginally better one.  Mind you, the smartly dressed staff officer keeping a careful eye on the photographer is immaculately dressed!

2087493714_Page30Photo2BoardingOrontes.jpg.ebe9f350c8c152f7b2e65c68d511c3c3.jpg814031525_PompeyElliottBoardingOrontes.jpg.07fc46fa4f7332f2f9265bfa54d893c4.jpg

1 minute ago, WhiteStarLine said:

The explanation is in the AWM link you quoted.  The AIF had a plain puggaree during WW1.  Boer War and some pre-war militia units had a coloured pleat.

"The puggaree was issued to Elliot during his pre- First World War service with the Essendon Rifles and transferred from hat to hat as a mascot throughout the War"

Pompey would have gone through several slouch hats and by the time my grandfather photographed him when they both sailed back on the Orontes in 1919, the battered hat in the AWM image has been replaced with a marginally better one.  Mind you, the smartly dressed staff officer keeping a careful eye on the photographer is immaculately dressed!

2087493714_Page30Photo2BoardingOrontes.jpg.ebe9f350c8c152f7b2e65c68d511c3c3.jpg814031525_PompeyElliottBoardingOrontes.jpg.07fc46fa4f7332f2f9265bfa54d893c4.jpg

Nice photo with Pompey Elliot! Low quality but still very nice!

Yeah, I'm quite blind and should've waited until tomorrow since I was half asleep then.. still am too! Anyways, I can safely assume that later periods used different coloured pleats on puggarees for the Militia?

Anyways, TTFN

Try this site: Lawrence Ordnance and check out the puggaree blog (also all the others). 
They sell repro Aussie uniforms too, but imo they had a way to go to making them passable. Maybe they’re better now as it was quite a while ago I last looked at them.

Dan

12 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Inserting a pleat was a stylised way to add regimental distinction to a puggaree, and a feature of the 20th Century on tropical headdress such as Sun helmets of various patterns and Slouch hats (aka Terai hats).  The colour chosen often reflected the regimental facing colour. Green might relate to a rifle styled regiment or perhaps light infantry.  Other features were the number of pleats (tucks) in the puggaree, which might be e.g. front and rear, or on all four sides.

Sorry FROGSMILE, didn't see this one! Severely sorry!

But yes, you're probably right with the regimental colour, since Green was the uniform of the 95th rifles.. atleast I think it was from after watching Sharpe. Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Fromelles said:

Try this site: Lawrence Ordnance and check out the puggaree blog (also all the others). 
They sell repro Aussie uniforms too, but imo they had a way to go to making them passable. Maybe they’re better now as it was quite a while ago I last looked at them.

Dan

Interesting. Cheers!

3 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Sorry FROGSMILE, didn't see this one! Severely sorry!

But yes, you're probably right with the regimental colour, since Green was the uniform of the 95th rifles.. atleast I think it was from after watching Sharpe. Thanks!

Interesting. Cheers!

I’m glad to have helped.  It was quite a common dress idiosyncrasy and could look very smart, as well as a useful distinction of identity.  Some regiments used them only for parades in review order because they were so distinct as to be a snipers target, but others of a more sombre hue (like dark green) all of the time.

Edited by FROGSMILE