Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF search

busterfield

I have recently found an old postcard from 1907 to a family member. From electoral rolls I could ony find a William Barker. There are a couple of questions regarding it.

I have tried searching this site.  https://www.naa.gov.au/

I have tried using the surname Barker, and location Maryborough Queensland and only found one entry for an AIF record, Percy Robert Barker. Can the service records be searched by location better than my poor attempt ?

Secondly I cannot find the Australian Census 1911 on ancestry or findmypast. Is it searchable online ?

coleburn 3.jpg

• Admin

As it’s sent to a Mr Coleburn, have you tried searching that name?  It might be that a son who emigrated is sending a postcard home, showing his workplace ? 

41 minutes ago, busterfield said:

Can the service records be searched by location better than my poor attempt ?

Hi,

Most of us start with a search on the highly customisable AIF database, then migrate to the NAA for the actual record.

Good luck.  That postcard where one part is upside down and the other one sideways was a bit of a challenge!

Michelle, I did try that. William Coleburn is addressed as cousin by the sender W barker. The search isn't helped by them being listed as Coleburn/Colebourn/Colebourne, which is tiresome.

WhiteStarLine, in my pictures the picture has the buildings at the top. I tried to post it more than once, but it always came out wrong.

Many thanks for the links, I'll get on to them.