Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hq 1st Cavalry Brigade

Guest scarletto

Guest scarletto

Does anyone know, where this headquarters were based, around August-November 1914?? Was it based seperatly or with higher command

thank you

Scarletto,

In August 1914 all the brigades were grouped as the cavalry division under Allenby. As time went on Gough did his own thing and detatched his brigade away from the division and went alone for awhile. Eventually the Division was formed into a corps.

Now thr rub, i cant remeber which brigades went where!

I will dig a bit and see what i can see and post back later if no one else has given a more satisfactory answer.

regards

Arm.

3rd (Gough) and 5th (Chetwode) cavlary brigades formed the 2nd cavalry division around early september. So i guess you may be looking for references to 1st Cavalry division.

regards

Arm.

how near to the front it was too

At that time the HQ moved with the Brigade and they moved whenever and wherever the brigade moved!

They were certainly in rifle (if not pistol) range of the front line on at least one occasion. At Nery, on 1st September 1914 - without infantry support - the 1st Cavalry Brigade fought the German 4th Cavalry Division to a standstill. One officer from HQ was KIA.

I’m reading the Navy and Military Press’ reprint of Major AF Becke, Nery 1914. The first shell to land on Brigade HQ had a fuse timed for 800m (1,000 yards).

At that time Brigade HQ was about 15 miles from GHQ.