Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private 21506 Albert Allen Bingham 3rd Norfolks

PRC

Private 21506 Albert Allen Bingham, of “B” Company, 3rd Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, was discharged at Felixstowe on the 28th May 1916 as no longer physically fit for war service. Specifically his condition was recorded as Valvular Disease of the Heart, (V.D.H.) – Aortic.

Single, aged 22 years and 8 months and an Engineer, his intended place of residence was 51 Somerset Road, Teddington. This was the household of his father.

He had originally applied to join the Royal Engineers when he enlisted at Teddington on the 10th September 1914, but was subsequently transferred to the Middlesex Regiment and from the 22nd September 1915 to the  1st Garrison Battalion, Norfolk Regiment.

His Medical Report on an Invalid, dated March 1916, states his V.D.H. originated in April 1915. He was marching from Shoreham to Pirbright when he felt pain under his heart and had to fall out. Reported sick and told by M.O. that with his condition he should not have enlisted. Had subsequently proved unable to do anything more than light duties. That report deemed it was not caused by military service.

The Medical Board however decided that while the cause was unknown, it was aggravated by Military service. His capability to work had been reduced by half, (subsequently shown as 50%) In 1919 looks like that was reduced to 20%.

The award was renewed several times, but on the paperwork for the 1920 Pension Award it is noted “Man died 20.9.19”

The death of a 25 year old Albert Allen Bingham was recorded in the Kingston District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1919.

There are three pension cards which look like they all refer to a subsequent Dependants Pension claim.

Before I purchase a death certificate I’m just checking that no-on else has this on the go or has investigated this in the past.

Cheers,
Peter

Three WFA/Fold3 pension cards are indeed available, but ...

One card records appears likely to have been a Disability Claim by LCpl BINGHAM but File destroyed,10.5.27 [Card's printer's mark is 11/16]

The other two are paired Dependant's claim cards by his mother: Mrs Annie Elizabeth BINGHAM, 51 Somerset Road, Teddington. [One card's printers mark is 5/19]

Unfortunately none of the three cards refers to his medical condition/disability or records if/what pension(s) was actually paid out.

Sorry to be the bearer of indifferent/bad news.

M

37 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Unfortunately none of the three cards refers to his medical condition/disability or records if/what pension(s) was actually paid out.

Sorry to be the bearer of indifferent/bad news.

No worries - I'd already factored in that I'd get no support from that source to strengthen the case. My biggest concern is if he is a Spanish Flu victim - his heart issues may have left him more vulnerable but may not feature on the death certificate.

I've tried a search of newspapers on FMP but unfortunately there is a Sir Albert Bingham, the Guild Master Cutler, (and his wife, the wonderfully titled Mistress Cutler), who was setting up a comrades association for a TF Company of Royal Engineers of which he was O.C. \ Attending events as the Master Cutler \ Handing over the title of Master Cutler \ Appearing in the Honours List \ Involved in the civic affairs of Sheffield, so gets many, many, many mentions around the period of Albert Allen Binghams' death in regional papers around the country, including those local to the Teddington area. I don't think I've missed him but it did become a bit of a blur :)

Cheers,
Peter

2 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

He isn't on the IFCP list. Buried at Teddington Cemetery:

Thanks Paul - really, really helpful. Are you by any chance stepping into the shoes of the late lamented @chrisharley9 !

Cheers,
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Death certificate now received and while there is lots on it to confirm that it's for the right soldier, causes of death would look to make it a non-starter.

393726821_COL177853_2022-1-ALBERT_ALLEN_BINGHAM-1919deathcertificatesourcedGRO.png.eb40912d28692684b3d0fb8c9407954b.png

He'd been discharged nearly three and a half years by the time he'd died - so more than long enough for him to have contracted tuberculosis after his army service was completed. The certifying doctor also hasn't referenced how long he'd been suffering from tuberculosis.

So unless there is a large sea change and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission adopts a blanket policy that heart issues can be taken as undiagnosed tuberculosis, for now we may just have to accept that his desire to serve his country will go unacknowledged.

Thanks to those who have helped to get to this stage.

Peter

9 minutes ago, PRC said:

Death certificate now received and while there is lots on it to confirm that it's for the right soldier, causes of death would look to make it a non-starter.

393726821_COL177853_2022-1-ALBERT_ALLEN_BINGHAM-1919deathcertificatesourcedGRO.png.eb40912d28692684b3d0fb8c9407954b.png

He'd been discharged nearly three and a half years by the time he'd died - so more than long enough for him to have contracted tuberculosis after his army service was completed. The certifying doctor also hasn't referenced how long he'd been suffering from tuberculosis.

So unless there is a large sea change and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission adopts a blanket policy that heart issues can be taken as undiagnosed tuberculosis, for now we may just have to accept that his desire to serve his country will go unacknowledged.

Thanks to those who have helped to get to this stage.

Peter

It was worth checking, even if it doesn't ultimately pass the line.

Craig