Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tank semaphore

GRANVILLE

Not sure if this is the best section but does anyone know much about the semaphores used on tanks? I'm working on a large scale model of the Mk V and am not sure what colours the discs were painted or for that matter what messages were sent using them or how they were read. I've noticed on a restored tank the semaphores seem to have been painted a pale green colour, which seems a bit indistinct to me. Any info appreciated.

David  

Is it the mechanical Paddle Semaphore system or the Disc Code? 

If it's the latter this thread tells you all about the three Disc System in splendid GWF detail.  

Edited by TullochArd

I presume I'm concerned with the paddle type - operated by the tank commander from within the tank, via a rise and fall pole controlling two arms with circular paddles or discs on the ends.

Here's paddle type.  Certainly the arms are white and something.  There are some colourised photos about that suggest the other colour was red.

IWM - Semaphore.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

6 hours ago, GRANVILLE said:

Not sure if this is the best section but does anyone know much about the semaphores used on tanks? I'm working on a large scale model of the Mk V and am not sure what colours the discs were painted or for that matter what messages were sent using them or how they were read. I've noticed on a restored tank the semaphores seem to have been painted a pale green colour, which seems a bit indistinct to me. Any info appreciated.

David  

Hi

The 4th Tank Battalion War Diaries has some drawings of the actual signals, WO95/110/4 June 1918:

WW2RAFsqnest242.jpg.8a509c4567c69f3cc4fdcf5233db5377.jpg

And WO95/110/5. July 1918:WW2RAFsqnest243.jpg.75d9ba60601dfffda9dac5be91a83f63.jpg

I hope that is of use.

Mike

6 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

The 4th Tank Battalion War Diaries has some drawings of the actual signals, WO95/110/4 June 1918:

WW2RAFsqnest242.jpg.8a509c4567c69f3cc4fdcf5233db5377.jpg

And WO95/110/5. July 1918:WW2RAFsqnest243.jpg.75d9ba60601dfffda9dac5be91a83f63.jpg

I hope that is of use.

Mike

Absolutely marvellous!

David

8 hours ago, TullochArd said:

Here's paddle type.  Certainly the arms are white and something.  There are some colourised photos about that suggest the other colour was red.

IWM - Semaphore.jpg

Brilliant.

David

This why I was asking. 

David 

20220608_132303.jpg

20220608_132231.jpg

Looking good David.  Top photo "Attack" and bottom photo "Enemy in sight"?