Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas H Hornby "Trawler Section" ??

Martin Hornby

As a pet project I am researching all those who died in the Great War with the Surname Hornby.

I have located 107 so far, and have alot of details regarding most of them.

However I have just located the 107th a chap called Thomas H Hornby 719A of the Trawler Section.

These are the only details that I have.

Can anyone suggest or tell me what this section is? and more importantly where I might be able to get some details.

Martin ;)

Martin

This from the National Archives web site.

"2. Royal Naval Reserve Trawler Section - RNR(T)

The RNR was generally confined to officers and men of deep sea merchantmen but in 1911 it was felt that there was a need to employ trawlers in war-time as minesweepers and patrol vessels. The Royal Naval Reserve Trawler Section - RNR(T) was set up to enrol the necessary personnel. Although abolished as a separate section of the RNR in 1921, the RNR(T) always remained quite distinct from the RNR proper, and employed fishermen. In both world wars a large number of trawlers were taken up by the Royal Navy complete with their crews, who were entered on a form T124 by which they engaged to serve in a named vessel for the duration of the war only. Fishermen on a T124 formed the bulk of the RNR(T) during the First World."

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov....p?sLeafletID=47

This might sem a stupid question but.......

What did these trawlers actually do? Did they go out fishing as usual, and just keep an eye open for things, using their apparent fishing-boat status as some kind of cover? Or did they stop fishing activities completely and just concentrate openly on more warlike duties?

Tom

Tom,

The Royal Navy Trawler section concerned were requisitioned trawlers and drifters used for minesweeping and patrol duties. There was later, February 1917, a second section of Fishery trawlers whose prime task was fishing under RN guidance and protection. This was a Reserve Section of the Trawler Section and crews were paid one shilling per vessel and one shilling per crew member and all other expenses came from their commercial fishing. Consequently the men in Minesweepers did not look too kindly on the fishery men! The purpose was to increase the fish supply for Britain whilst protecting vessels from the enemy. The average profit of a trawler before 1914 was around £6000 - 7000 and by 1917 it had risen to £30,000 - 40,000 per annum.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for the help chaps.

It is very much appreciated

Martin :D