Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best Books on Passchendaele

James S

James 

A lot depends on what your interest is in the battle, one of the books that I find useful is Passchendale the Day By Day account by Chris McCarthy. By it's very nature it will only give an overview of the battle but it will give pointers to to which units were engaged on which day and you can develop your research/ interest from thier.

Best wishes

Malcolm 

Malcolm,

My interest is the battle itself, a good book on the battle with first hand accounts, etc.

James

Whilst I have no idea where it stands in other peoples' ratings, I have found 'The Road to Passchendaele' by Richard van Emden (Pen & Sword, 2017) to be a most readable, well-presented book. It has many personal accounts and photos.

Acknown

I still think highly of John Terraine’s ‘Road to Passchendaele’, Leon Wolf’s ‘In Flanders Fields’ & Lynn Mac Donald’s ‘They called it Passchendaele’. All rather old now and there are probably better more recent accounts but these still stay with me.

Passchendaele, by Nick Lloyd.

I rather like:

Passchendaele in Perspective; The Third Battle of Ypres.

Edited by Peter H Liddle. Pen and Sword 1997 if memory serves.

Or

Something a little heavier, in both size and reading.

To Play a Giants Part by Robert A Perry [The role of the British Army at Passchendaele]

Naval & Military Press 2014.

I enjoyed both though it took me almost a year to read the latter due to the minute detail and copious notes at the bottom of each page.

Regards

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/06/2022 at 23:55, Steven Broomfield said:

Passchendaele, by Nick Lloyd.

Agreed. A sound, well balanced history.

1 hour ago, Crunchy said:

Agreed. A sound, well balanced history.

Thanks, Chris. I thought it very good. His book on Loos is also very good.

Very dated, and definitely not free from bias, but thoroughly recommended as a readable and straightforward account :

IN FLANDERS FIELDS, Passchendaele 1917, by Leon Wolff.

This was published in 1958, so it’s bound to be obsolete in many respects, but, despite its flaws, it has enough merit to persuade me to offer a whole hearted recommendation , especially if you seek something as a starting point.

It’s journalistic history, but it has an enduring quality that I find seductive.

I would advocate reading this first, and then read Nick Lloyd’s book to get the more authoritative study.

Phil

On 28/06/2022 at 20:46, Steven Broomfield said:

Thanks, Chris. I thought it very good. His book on Loos is also very good.

Agreed Steven. I also like his The Hundred Days, and his latest  -  The Western Front

On 28/06/2022 at 22:27, phil andrade said:

Personally, I’d give this one a miss. Readable yes, but too biased and there are much better and well researched accounts around these days.

3 hours ago, Crunchy said:

Agreed Steven. I also like his The Hundred Days, and his latest  -  The Western Front

Yes. The latter, in particular, comes in tour de force territory.

On 28/06/2022 at 13:27, phil andrade said:

Very dated, and definitely not free from bias, but thoroughly recommended as a readable and straightforward account :

This was published in 1958, so it’s bound to be obsolete in many respects, but, despite its flaws, it has enough merit to persuade me to offer a whole hearted recommendation , especially if you seek something as a starting point.

It’s journalistic history, but it has an enduring quality that I find seductive.

I would advocate reading this first, and then read Nick Lloyd’s book to get the more authoritative study.

Phil

I'd agree with Crunchy about this one. I think your use of the word 'obsolete' sums it up.

"To Play A Giant's Part" The role of the British Army at Passchendaele by Robert A. Perry is worth a look.

Naval & Military press 2014 - www.naval-military-press.com

19 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

'Passchendaele The Untold Story' by Robin Prior and Trevor Wilson is very good. 

Didn’t Jack Sheldon take  an exquisitely refined swipe at this one when he remarked that no book on the battle was more aptly titled ?

Phil

Reminds me of a review of another title many years ago: "this is not a bad book . . . this is a very bad book"

19 hours ago, phil andrade said:

Didn’t Jack Sheldon take  an exquisitely refined swipe at this one when he remarked that no book on the battle was more aptly titled ?

Phil

Have you read it? I will look at a book reviews and if mixed I will make my own judgement. I enjoyed reading the book but I am no expert on the subject so I can't comment on it's accuracy or otherwise.

Edited by Gardenerbill

Yes, I have read it, and I attended a conference in Ypres in 2007 to commemorate the ninetieth anniversary of Passchensaele, and listened to Robin Prior deliver a lecture.

He impressed me, and his book did, too.

The thing about Leon Wolff’s outdated and biased book is that it aroused great interest in    the subject, which drove me to research further.

Maybe the originator of this thread is far more steeped in knowledge and has no need of an introductory account, but it worked well for me half a century or more ago.

Phil

20 minutes ago, phil andrade said:

Yes, I have read it, and I attended a conference in Ypres in 2007 to commemorate the ninetieth anniversary of Passchensaele, and listened to Robin Prior deliver a lecture.

He impressed me, and his book did, too.

Phil

I was at the Ypres conference in 2007 as well and bought the book at some point. I have read it and I enjoyed the book at that point. I don't know why it would be bad.

6 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

I have read it and I enjoyed the book at that point. I don't know why it would be bad.

Maybe someone will enlighten us?:unsure:

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

Maybe someone will enlighten us?:unsure:

Put it down to rivalry between historians : perhaps they can’t resist the odd swipe at each other !

Phil