Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roll of Honour & de Ruvigny books

Cynthia

Not sure if I have this correct, but are these books where families sent in information to have their loved ones commemorated? Does anyone own these sets, and would you be willing to look up Robert Stark for me to see whether he was in either one? I doubt that he was, as his family did not have much money, but grief can drive one to make great sacrifices to honour a son who has no grave.

Here is the information:

Pte Robert James Stark, G/7190, The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment, 7th Battalion, KIA, September 28, 1916 in France. Residence: Godstone, Surrey.

Thank you.

Cynthia

Cynthia,

You are probably aware but if not, 7th Queens were involved in an attack on the Schwaben Redoubt on the 28th September 1916 attached to the 53rd brigade. War diary records continuous fighting at close quarters until relieved by 8th East Surreys.

Info from British Battalions on the Somme.

Bob.

Dear Bob,

Yes, I was able to read the Battalion diaries for the 28th and 29th thanks to a Forum member who went to the PRO and got them for me. Very grim reading, and I was especially moved by the comment that a majority of the 7th were replacements who had not been in battle. The officer said, "Showed good fighting spirit, but needed much leading." I suppose under those horrendous conditions it is almost miraculous that they could show good fighting spirit. They must have heard the sounds of the Thiepval battle raging nearby when they were billeted in Blighty Valley. For those untried boys, I can only imagine what was going through their minds.

ianw showed me the Crucifix that stands on the road leading from Blighty Valley up to Thiepval and it struck me that this was probably one of the last sights that Robert and his comrades saw. An appropriate image, as is the Paschal Lamb regimental symbol worn by the Queen's.

Cynthia

Thanks, Terry. I had great doubts, but in the quest for information we all undertake, I did not want to leave any stone (or Stark!) unturned!

Cynthia

Concerning De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour. A friend of mine owns an WW1 Officer casualty medals. Part of the ephemera that came with the group was the appilication forms and paperwork to apply to be included in the roll.

If anyone is interested I am sure I could get them scanned so one could see them.

let us know

Terry

Yes please Terry, not least because of the commentary in the CWGC database thread in the 'Soldiers' section