Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for an image of a New Zealand soldier

jay dubaya

Last year I managed to find an image of Pte 28511 Henry Mills, New Zealand Cyclist Battalion, who was killed in action at Marfaux on 23rd July 1918. I thought I'd saved the image, but I can't find it in my files. Annoyingly I don't remember where I got the image, all I do remember is it was from a New Zealand newspaper, having spent the last three hours searching to no avail my patience has wore thin. So I ask in the hope that some forum member may know where to find this image and can point me in the right direction. Any help is always greatly appreciated.

cheers, J

14 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig you're  a star, that is indeed the man, thanks for taking the time. However, I don't recognise the website and I do remember the image being of better quality, that said I hadn't until now seen the article that relates to him on page 4 - so now I wonder if he appeared in another newspaper.

• 1 month later...

Taken from the supplement to the Auckland Weekly News 5 September 1918 p041
Regards Wendy 

AWNS_19180905_p041_i000_b.jpg

Edited by Wendy Macpherson

For future use if New Zealand images or papers are required, the largest image search engine in New Zealand.

Digital NZ but there are a handful of other collections not under this search engine, RSA is one. 

Regards Wendy 

Wendy you’re a star, thank you for linking the Heritage Collection, this is indeed the original image that I saw. Now to try and find any surviving relatives…

How are you getting on finding the family, do you need a hand?

Find A Grave

Edited by Wendy Macpherson
Add info and photo

3 hours ago, Wendy Macpherson said:

How are you getting on finding the family, do you need a hand?

Find A Grave

Henrys sister Agnes Kerr Mills married Thomas Gurney Philpot In Wanganui New Zealand 1911.

My great grandmother Ellen Saunders (n. Salt) her brother George Salt married Thomas sister Ivy May Philpot at the Maori Mission Church in Wanganui in 1906.

Agnes Kerr Mills relationship to me is a real stretch  wife of brother-in-law of great-granduncle 

Screenshot 2022-07-06 202232.jpg

A hand would be fantastic Wendy, thanks for the offer, your connection to Henry Mills may be a stretch but it’s a connection non the less. If you don’t mind I’ll contact you via PM later. 

Yes, I have a subscription to ancestry and must admit that Jeffery Jones’ tree hasn’t been viewed by me until now. The research I have conducted is of a delicate nature hence I wish to contact you off forum at present.