Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Request for assistance - 1916 Wiltshire Regiment WW1 in Salonika

Hammerman75

I am researching my wifes' Grand Uncle Private 12431 Charles Vivash who is buried at Salonika Lambet Road Military Cemetery.

I am struggling to find out anything relating to the Wiltshire Regiment in Salonika in May/June 1916.

He died at 28th General Hospital on 13th June 1916 from asphyxia and appears to have been paraplegic.

He was transferred in from 25th Casualty Clearing Station on 8th June 1916 and I'm trying to ascertain how long he'd been out in the Balkans and potentially any engagement or war diary incident suggesting how he became paraplegic. I fully appreciate it may have been a training or simple non combat accident without record.

Can anyone provide an insight, point me in the direction of any information or a perhaps a war diary for 1916 that may give me something to follow as from what I have found below I can't make a great deal of sense from;

Private 12431 Charles Vivash (Born 1878 - Died 13 June 1916 aged 38) - Only one regimental number issued to my knowledge

Service records have not survived

Ancestry - 7th (S) Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

National Archives - 7th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment war diary – nothing listed for 1916

Forces War Records also have him listed as Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Battalion, A Company, 26th Division?

National archives 2nd Battalion War diaries – nothing listed Greece June 1916 

WO-95-2329-1_1

WO-95-2329 1_2

WO-95-2253-15

Forces War Records - Duty location Salonica

Forces War Records - Died from asphyxia (suffering with paraplegia) 0130am 13th June 25 Clearing Casualty Station 

Long Long Trail confirms 25th Casualty Clearing Station near Doiran, north of Salonica & 28th General Hospital in Salonika.

CWGC – Private 12431 C Vivash is buried at Salonika Lambet Road Military Cemetery

Many thanks in advance

Charles Vivash 12431.jpg

Charles Vivash 12431 Records.jpg

Charles Vivash 12431 died 28 Gen Hos.jpg

I am researching my wifes' Grand Uncle Private 12431 Charles Vivash who is buried at Salonika Lambet Road Military Cemetery.

I am struggling to find out anything relating to the Wiltshire Regiment in Salonika in May/June 1916.

He died at 28th General Hospital on 13th June 1916 from asphyxia and appears to have been paraplegic.

He was transferred in from 25th Casualty Clearing Station on 8th June 1916 and I'm trying to ascertain how long he'd been out in the Balkans and potentially any engagement or war diary incident suggesting how he became paraplegic. I fully appreciate it may have been a training or simple non combat accident without record.

Can anyone provide an insight, point me in the direction of any information or a perhaps a war diary for 1916 that may give me something to follow as from what I have found below I can't make a great deal of sense from;

Private 12431 Charles Vivash (Born 1878 - Died 13 June 1916 aged 38) - Only one regimental number issued to my knowledge

Service records have not survived

Ancestry - 7th (S) Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

National Archives - 7th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment war diary – nothing listed for 1916

Forces War Records also have him listed as Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Battalion, A Company, 26th Division?

National archives 2nd Battalion War diaries – nothing listed Greece June 1916 

WO-95-2329-1_1

WO-95-2329 1_2

WO-95-2253-15

Forces War Records - Duty location Salonica

Forces War Records - Died from asphyxia (suffering with paraplegia) 0130am 13th June 25 Clearing Casualty Station 

Long Long Trail confirms 25th Casualty Clearing Station near Doiran, north of Salonica & 28th General Hospital in Salonika.

CWGC – Private 12431 C Vivash is buried at Salonika Lambet Road Military Cemetery

Many thanks in advance

Charles Vivash 12431.jpg

Charles Vivash 12431 Records.jpg

Charles Vivash 12431 died 28 Gen Hos.jpg

• Admin

Duplicate posts merged. 

Hi Hammerman75,

The amount of War Gratuity shown as paid in his Soldiers Effects record is indicative of service counting from circa September 1914. There are a couple of Silver War Badge records for Wiltshire Regiment men that had near numbers - 12430 Grist (enlisted 7.9.1914); and 124308 Marshall (enlisted 5.9.1914).

The 7/Wilts formed at Devizes in September 1914.

1 hour ago, Hammerman75 said:

Forces War Records also have him listed as Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Battalion, A Company, 26th Division?

That might be based on a transcription error of the MH 106 records (hospital admission and discharge records). It looks like Findmypast may have an actual image of that record - link.

Regards
Chris

Thank you one and all - your help is very much appreciated.

I'll get to Kew at some stage again and have a look at the June 1916 diary that is yet to be digitised Keith

Appreciate Michaelpi, clk, ss002d6252 for the very useful additional information too.

Have a great weekend everyone

Cheers

The earliest mention of the 7th Wilts in the books I have is in the Official History when they undertook a raid in the Doiran sector December 1916. 7th Wilts were in 79th Brigade, 26th Division, 26th Division were in the Struma Valley in May 1916 occupying the line between the Seres Road and Lake Langaza. In June the division moved to the Doiran Sector occupying the line near the River Vardar. Looks like the war diary is your best bet to find out what may have happened to Pte Vivash.

All being well I shall be at TNA for 2 days next week, but with a full to do list. If time permits I'll check in case there is any more detail that that shown by The Wardrobe, but it looks on the Wardrobe website as if the  link gives a complete transcription and a search on the surname came up with nothing.  The transcription can also be purchased from them in book form, which might well be more convenient  than a trip to Kew, depending on where you live. 

https://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/products/wiltshire-regiment-first-world-war-7th-battalion

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts

Hi,

The difficulties with the Wardrobe online transcriptions that I found is that you can only read/copy a day at a time, and that they didn't transcribe the appendices (at least for the 1/Wilts in 1914, which were invaluable for me - they show that my GG Uncle was recommended for a DCM and why, although he wasn't actually awarded it). I don't know if the transcripts (books) for purchase include everything.

Regards
Chris

Edited by clk