Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE or RCS

reformbill

I am interested in a relative who served in WW1, but cannot find any trace. Help would be much appreciated.

Name - Harry Carter

Born - 1888 - Sowerby, West Riding of Yorkshire

Peacetime occupation - Post office area manager.

I know that he served on the Western Front. I believe that he was commissioned and served in The Royal Corps of Signals ( although as that was only created in 1918 he must have served in the Royal Engineers). I also know, from a letter of one of his cousins, that he was recalled from leave at the time of the German push in Spring 1918.

I also know that he remained in the Territorial Army after the war and attained the rank of Colonel.

I have trawled the N.A. WO online papers without any success.

Peter

The Quarterly Army List: Officers War Services December 1919 gives a Lt H Carter RE and notes that he was mentioned in despatches on 18 May 1917. The Royal Corps of Signals was not established until 1920 and so your relation would have served with the RE Signal Service during the war. I think therefore that this must be him.

Charles M

There is a H.Carter commissioned RE (TF) 2/Lt 5/9/14, Temp Lt 11/7/15 but he is in the Scottish Signal company. Hope that helps. Phil B