Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Muriel Meaker Mystery adopted daughter

the_ageing_young_rebel

Hello Everybody,

I've just bought the 1921 census record for my family who have a been a focus of my Great War research for years. I was suprised to see a name listed on it as an "Adopted Daughter"; Muriel Meaker who was born in 1913 and is listed as "Father Dead". I haven't been able to trace this Muriel Meaker in any other way and only have this one record of her as evidence that she ever existed. My only thought of where else I can find something is in that if her father died in the Great War, she might have claimed his pension. I'm a paid up WFA member but am coming up blank searching for any pension records that might be relevent though and was wondering if anybody could help me or if anybody has any helpful ideas on how I can find more about this poor girl.

This family lost two sons in 1916, so I can see why they would want to help another child, but I only other thought I have is if she could be an illegitimate child of one of those sons and thats why the story of her never got passed down in the family.

Thanks as always!

1921 Census.png

3 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Are you able to include/exclude this girl?:

Births Sep 1913   (>99%)
Meaker  Adelaide M  Hicks  Bristol  6a 308  btnInfo.gif

I have no idea. I think this Muriel should be born in July 1913 based on the census, but it might be wrong. How did you find that record though?

Thanks!

Always a good place to start.

Quite flexible  search facility so you can quickly scan for alternative forenames and surnames or dates.

Hello,

The birth records (and marriage and death) for England and Wales are indexed by quarter, so bear in mind that a 'Sep' entry on FreeBMD means that the birth was registered in the September quarter, i.e. the third quarter of the year, covering July, August and September.

The General Register Office also lets you search the index, and for historical births it also provides the mother's maiden name.  For Adelaide Muriel Meaker, the mother's maiden name is indexed as Hicks.

Best wishes

Brian

Also on FreeBMD

Adelaide Eliza HICKS m. George Henry MEAKER in Axbridge in the March Quarter (i.e between Jan and Mar) of 1908.  Axbridge is in Somerset.

Looks like George died in Axbridge aged 49 in 1913 around the time that his daughter was born.

Brian

Edit:  If you look on FreeBMD for Adelaide MEAKER, you will also find Adelaide Muriel's marriage, and her mother's death.  I'll leave you to search, but happy to look at this again if you get stuck.

Edited by Rockford

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Always a good place to start.

Quite flexible  search facility so you can quickly scan for alternative forenames and surnames or dates.

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

There are a number of family trees on Ancestry, some of which confirm her father died in 1913.  Muriel Meaker - Ancestry.com

Regards,

Alf McM

You are both super heores! Thanks so much!