Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Cutts royal engineers

Nayten

Hi, I’m researching into what I’m certain is my great X2 grandfathers military  service in the First World War. Although I was never told of him serving, I’m 99% certain it’s him due to it being his name (Alfred Cutts) and the address on his pension index is where all that side of my family lived.

Anyway, so far I’ve found he was a royal engineer, a sapper, apparently his rank was 3 AM although I’m not too sure what that means. His rank number was 83649. Aswell as that, I found his medal card which states he was awarded the victory medal which from my research means he must have served in a theatre of war although the theatre isn’t stated on the card or anywhere I can find. On his pension, it states he applied for pension due to disability but I can’t find what the disability was. Whether a wound or something external to the war. 

I was just wondering if anyone could me help me get this info or offer any advice to find out what he was given pension for and if there’s any way to know where he served? Any help would be appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Nayten said:

Hi, I’m researching into what I’m certain is my great X2 grandfathers military  service in the First World War. Although I was never told of him serving, I’m 99% certain it’s him due to it being his name (Alfred Cutts) and the address on his pension index is where all that side of my family lived.

Anyway, so far I’ve found he was a royal engineer, a sapper, apparently his rank was 3 AM although I’m not too sure what that means. His rank number was 83649. Aswell as that, I found his medal card which states he was awarded the victory medal which from my research means he must have served in a theatre of war although the theatre isn’t stated on the card or anywhere I can find. On his pension, it states he applied for pension due to disability but I can’t find what the disability was. Whether a wound or something external to the war. 

I was just wondering if anyone could me help me get this info or offer any advice to find out what he was given pension for and if there’s any way to know where he served? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Nayten. Regarding the 3AM it appears to be a transcribing error as the original document doesn't have that written on it. I have found this newspaper article from the Wakefield Express dated 4th May 1918 stating Alfred was promoted to Sergeant and stationed in Greece.

B165575B-6797-4C82-A223-BC8C1BF93DD6.jpeg

Just now, Nayten said:

Ah okay, it must have been a mess up. How did you find this article? Also thank you for the help! 

Both Find My Past and Ancestry have a search facility for newspapers. It may well be worth you looking at the British Newspaper Archives online also as they may have access to different publications https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk I think you may get a certain number of free downloads before having to subscribe.