Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

official hospital name

Jude Gibson

Hi all, Jude here again looking to tie a hospital name down.

Pte James McGladrigan, (1872-1918}

Service Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers Regiment, Service Number 15901.

James was transfered to (498732) 522nd Home Service Employment Coy., Labour Corps. 

In newspaper it is stated that he died on the September 28th 1918 in the Catterick Camp Hospital, Yorkshire, England. In the Cemetery records it is stated that he died on the September 28th 1918 in the Mill Hospital, Catterick, Yorkshire, England.  His death certificate states that he died on September 28th 1918 at the Military Hospital Scotton County of Yorks (N R). I presume they are all one and the same, is there an official name?

Thanks

Jude

I would think they are all one and the same.

Scotton is a parish that includes the centre and south of Catterick Garrison, it is a suburb of Catterick, or rather that is how you would look at it.

Catterick Camp Hospital

The Military Hospital at Catterick

The Military Hospital Scotton [County of Yorkshire North Riding]

It is my understanding that there is now no Hospital, military of otherwise at Catterick, there is a medical centre. The Duchess of Kent Military Hospital finally shut it doors in about 2015 and facilities were transferred to RAF Leeming. Stand to be corrected though.

Regards

Peter

On 31/05/2022 at 16:19, Jude Gibson said:

Hi all, Jude here again looking to tie a hospital name down.

Pte James McGladrigan, (1872-1918}

Service Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers Regiment, Service Number 15901.

James was transfered to (498732) 522nd Home Service Employment Coy., Labour Corps. 

In newspaper it is stated that he died on the September 28th 1918 in the Catterick Camp Hospital, Yorkshire, England. In the Cemetery records it is stated that he died on the September 28th 1918 in the Mill Hospital, Catterick, Yorkshire, England.  His death certificate states that he died on September 28th 1918 at the Military Hospital Scotton County of Yorks (N R). I presume they are all one and the same, is there an official name?

Thanks

Jude

A wonderfully evocative album of photos of staff and patients there here: http://lwf.it.ox.ac.uk/s/lest-we-forget/item/10333

FFB2C968-464B-41F3-A2AA-75DA2C6E596F.jpeg

DE47782E-A0BB-491A-9042-6377AFCCA137.jpeg

59A1103D-2D55-416E-A5FE-ECFAB9337B83.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE