Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Entertaining the boys

Cynthia

:) No, this is not a direct link with the "Sex and the Soldier" thread! Since I like to listen to music from the pre- and Great War eras (you can get used to pre-electric recordings, believe it or not!) I was wondering which entertainers went out to perform for the troops. Part of this thought comes from the Ohio Bicentennial celebrations, one of which is a tribute to Elsie Janis, who was born in Columbus, Ohio and spent much time on the London stage and also entertained the Tommies.

I know Harry Lauder went out to the troops, and I know Basil Hallam was in the RFC, but don't know if he ever entertained while in the service. Apparently Elsie Janis was engaged to Basil Hallam and was devastated by his death, not marrying until 1931.

My friend Brian Rust told me a story about Elsie Janis while she was out singing to the Tommies. Apparently a soldier approached her who had lost both his arms. When she commented on his loss, he replied, "Well, it could have been worse, Ma'am. I could have lost my eyes and not been able to see you." As an Ohio girl myself, I know that comment would have melted me and certainly that is the sort of thing that has made me have the utmost respect and awe for British soldiers in the Great War.

There was also a story about Harry Lauder after he heard about the loss of his son. He went on stage and was singing, "The Laddies Who Fought and Won" when he came to the line, "When we all gather round the old fireside, and the old mother kisses her son," and he just lost it. He could not go on, but the audience waited and he could feel their silent support, so he managed to carry on and finish the song to thunderous applause.

Who else was brave enough to go out there and entertain the troops?

Cynthia

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Cynthia,

Sir Harry Lauder is one of the better known entertainers who went out to France. There are 2 twists to the Harry Lauder story. Firstly it was rumoured that his son was not killed by enemy action but by his own troops. Secondly Harry Lauder petitioned the War Office to be able to join up (after his son was killed). His persistance eventually paid off and he was granted leave to join up in November 1918, unfortunately the Armistice came into effect before he could do so.

Apologies if you know these facts.

Ian

The soldiers of the Great War were also very good at entertaining themselves. Concert parties were extremely popular throughout the forces and some soldiers were very talented performers.

Concert parties also featured highly in POW camps.

Tim

Cynthia

Basil Hallam was, of course, `The Kernel of the Nuts' and served in the Balloon Section of the RFC. Charles Carrington head him sing `Gilbert the Filbert' at a camp concert in France. Hallam's clothes made Carrington `sick with envy'. Hallam had `just come off duty and was, so to speak, in khaki service-dress uniform but with a suit of so exquisite cut and a colour-scheme so delicately varied from the offficial drab, that his clothes, somehow, did not resemble mine. He wore a hunting stock in a shade of pearl-grey, instead of a collar-and-tie, dove-coloured riding breeches, yellow `chammy' gloves, puttees that were almost lemon-coloured and a floppy cap arranged over one ear. Good colonels strove to prevent the likes of me from imitating the likes of him.'

I should also point out that many members of the divisional concert parties had been professionally connected with the stage before they joined up.

Charles M

Hi Cynthia,

At least 600, and probably nearer 1000 artistes journeyed to the Western Front and beyond to entertain the boys, and guess what, it was all done by girl power!!

The lady in charge of 'Concerts at the Front' was Lena Ashwell, a classically trained cellist and West End actor/manager who recruited over 600 performers and sent them out to France in 5/6 man troupes under the auspices of the YMCA. Lena went out herself in February 1915, with (amongst others) Ivor Novello, who wowed everyone with his hit song 'Keep the Home Fires Burning'. Lena also formed a repertory company from her associates.

Other notables went out too, e.g. the composer Gustav Holst who oversaw choral concerts given by the troops themselves.

I can't remember her name at present, but an American singer went out to entertain the Doughboys, and returned with a husband, if my memory serves me right. I'll find her name for you.

In the same way that tradesmen, such as mechanics, miners etc were taken out of line regiments for units such as the RE, ASC etc, so, as the war progressed, entertainers were corraled into concert parties to sing a few songs with piano, tell a joke or two, strum a tune etc. Many show careers began on the Western Front, such as comedy duo Flanagan & Allen, who met in an estaminet near Poperinghe.

I had no idea there were so many entertainers involved, probably because we hear so little nowadays about the people who were household names during the Great War. Interesting fact about Flanagan and Allen, because I was aware of their impact on World War II entertainment, but had no idea about the Great War meeting. I've also just read recently that the lyrics to "Keep the Home Fires Burning" were written by an American poet, with music by Ivor Novello.

The World War I CDs that I have purchased have some references to those who went over to entertain (that is where I read the Harry Lauder story). I remember reading that Gaby Deslys, who was quite a hit with young Englishmen prior to the War, did her turn for French troops, but not sure whether that is true or not.

But I think my favourite 'performer' is still Eddie Dwyer. He wasn't much of a singer, but his personality just shone through on his recording, a rare thing when shouting into a horn, especially for an amateur and soldier right from the trenches. He put so much passion and expression into his singing you couldn't help but like his renditions! When we visited his grave at Flat Iron Copse, I listened to "In the Trenches" before going out to pay my respects. It fairly made you want to shout out "Hello!" back at him!

Cynthia

Cynthia,

The American singer was Mary Louise Rochester, who met her husband Captain David Morgan Roderick whilst she was on a concert tour of France, again under the auspices of the YMCA. She continued her musical war work in WW2, in which her brother-in-law Tom was Eisehower's Chief of Intelligence.

I think you are right about Gaby Deslys.

The lyricist of Home Fires was lena Guilbert Ford, who died in an air raid on London in 1917, alongside her young son Walter.

The CEF had a number of very popular entertainment groups that were put together by the front line troops. The most famous were The Dumbells, The Volatiles and The Maple Leaves. The star of the Maple Leaves was Ross Hamilton, one of the greatest female impersonators of the time.

Another event that I keep reading about was the All-Red Brigade Circus that was held at Liencourt on May 18, 1918 (The All-Red Brigade was the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade). Thousands of CEF soldiers (including Arthur Currie and his staff) and local citizens attended the circus.

Attached is a photo of four members of the PPCLI performing one of their show.

Garth

post-8-1055879647.jpg

Well, Garth, your photo was a big hit here in the office, but now my male co-workers think they know why I am so interested in the Great War-- all that show of leg on those lovely Canadians! One of my female co-workers said, "They must have been very lonely for female company." The understatement of the day, I think!

Kate mentioned Mary Louise Rochester Roderick, and while searching for information about her, I found she had written her autobiography in 1966 called, "A Nightingale in the Trenches," if anyone is interested. It was published by Vantage Press.

Cynthia :lol:

Hi Cynthia:

Here's another photo for you; sorry no legs this time. It's a picture of the front line favorites The Dumbells. This group was formed from members of the 3rd Canadian Division.

Here's a quote from Jack Ayre, an original member of The Dumbells: "We had written away to English actresses asking for any old gowns they might have for the two "girls" in our show, Ross Hamilton and Alan Murray, and received back the most beautiful gowns from them."

In the photo, Alan Murray's in the centre and Ross Hamilton's on the left.

Garth

post-8-1056045756.jpg

Cynthia

Now we all know that your interest in the Queens is not only limited to that famous regiment. Nice to see the Army camping it up years before "It Aint Half Hot Mum". Given the Navy's reputation, the "girls" in their concert parties must have been a sight to be hold ! " Rumba , Sodomy and the Lash" ?

Well, Ian, now you know my secret! I quite like those puttees, too, though, so I guess I am just a 'leg woman'!

Cynthia

Cynthia,

I should have said that the figures quoted in my original posting are for entertainers going out from Britain. Sorry I have no idea for other nations, but entertainment was certainly officially arranged for German and Austrian troops too.

But I think my favourite 'performer' is still Eddie Dwyer. He wasn't much of a singer, but his personality just shone through on his recording, a rare thing when shouting into a horn, especially for an amateur and soldier right from the trenches. He put so much passion and expression into his singing you couldn't help but like his renditions! When we visited his grave at Flat Iron Copse, I listened to "In the Trenches" before going out to pay my respects. It fairly made you want to shout out "Hello!" back at him!

I bought that self-same CD in Ypres earlier this year and I have to say that it is impossible to hear Dwyer trying to hit the high notes singing 'Hello, hello', without raising a smile. From his modest little speech beforehand to his singing, what a wonderful recording it is.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Simon Bull

Long ago in this thread Ian Bowbrick wrote:

"Sir Harry Lauder is one of the better known entertainers who went out to France. There are 2 twists to the Harry Lauder story. Firstly it was rumoured that his son was not killed by enemy action but by his own troops."

At the time I did not notice this comment. However, I would be fascinated to know the basis for Ian saying this and what members think about how often it (ie troops killing their own officers) may have happened.

I ask this question because on one of the few occasion my grandfather said anything at all about his war service he spoke with unusual feeling about harsh officers sometimes being killed by their officers. He said how easy it was for an officer to be killed during an attack in such a way that he looked to have been killed by the Germans. I didn't feel able to draw him out on the subject, but his demeanor rather chilled me. It crossed my mind that he may have witnessed such a thing happening, or, conceivably, been involved.

Simon Bull

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Long ago in this thread Ian Bowbrick wrote:

"Sir Harry Lauder is one of the better known entertainers who went out to France. There are 2 twists to the Harry Lauder story. Firstly it was rumoured that his son was not killed by enemy action but by his own troops."

At the time I did not notice this comment. However, I would be fascinated to know the basis for Ian saying this.............................

Simon,

I have spent 30 mins this evening trying to find the book that I read this in. In fact the rumour was also mentioned on this Forum in a thread I started on officers being shot by their own men. I seem to remember at the time the general consensus was that this probably didn't happen as there is no official record of it :lol:

Well at the time I thought that was naive plus I had also heard it from a veteran and not one I was related to either.

Personally I believe that there were instances where officers, NCOs and unpopular men were shot by 'our side', but to prove it 'officially' is virtually impossible.

Ian

I seem tp recall that "fragging" officers was rumoured to happen in Vietnam but as you say , by definition, there won't be any evidence of it. One of the hazards of being a martinet in war.

Picking up on the point about 'home made' entertainment at the front, here is an extract from the War Diary of 41 CCS at Wanquetin, 1916:

12th December: fall of snow this morning. Remaining 123

14th December: RE started putting up electric light

16th December: Considerable air activity, one of the Armstrong units hit by a time fuse

19th December: Very cold day - snow in the afternoon

23rd December: The Bluebirds (30th Div) gave concert in the evening

25th December: Xmas Day, concert for patients. Admissions 5 inc 1 officer and 1 wounded.

No 43048 Pte Waters O.R died, sw arm. Remaining 143.

Pte Owen Waters had been one of the last recorded wounded at Hope Street, Arras and his death left a widow and seven month old son who still lives in our village. He is not at all well but was cheered when I was able to give him details of his father's death about which he had known nothing. He remarked 'At least he hung on for the entertainment!'