Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC 12th Field Ambulance

Guest JBaltzer

Guest JBaltzer

According to my grandfather service record he was in the Territorial Forces in 1908 and embarked for France 23-8-14 with the 12th Field Ambulance. I have a couple of questions.

Were the Territorial Forces units sent as a group or were members reassigned into units in the regular forces?

It seems my grandfather had two service numbers 20545 and 120. Would the 120 be an TF number, if so are there records available on TF service?

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks John

Hi John, Thanks for the other information, regarding the TF numbers my great uncle was in the 3rd lincoln militia and he had a army number for that unit which has been lost over time, but when he joined the Coldstream guards he was issued with a new number.

So I can only presume that prior to WW1 TAVR units had there own service numbers, I am sure another expert on this forum could confirm that.

120 very probably a TF number.

20545 probably not a TF number.

Very unlikely that a TF soldier of RAMC would sail with the regular army's 12th FA in August 1914. Looks like he may have re-enlisted. Does his service record give any clues regarding him being "Time Expired" in say 1912?

Hi John,

My grandfather was also in the TF RAMC, at the outbreak of war he went to France in August 1914, from his letters it seemed that he travelled with the 2Bn Grenadier Guards. I do not know what Field Ambulance he was with.

It seems quite possible that they may have gone out at the same time.

I have the war diary for the Grenadier Guards but it does not mention RAMC units.

There is an interesting site on the web about a Haryy Caplin who was in 6 FA at the outbreeak of war, on there are his letters and diaries and it makes really interesting reading about conditions and service in France.

I am still trying to work out exactly where my grandfather served between 1914 and 1916, the problem is that I don't have any specific unit for him.

If you have any clues where I could check, then I would appreciate a tip.

The above is probably no help to you but it seemed quite interesting that they were doing the same thing around the same time. You never know they might have known each other.

My grandfathers name was Pte 37 Alfred Thompson and at that time he was from London.

Regards

Rod