Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Other Ranks POW

GRAZ

Hi All

Is there any way of finding out where and possibly how an other rank was taken prisoner of war. I know it's easier to track officers, but not sure on other ranks. The soldier in question is 9582 Pte James Evans, Scots Guards.

His medals unbelievably were found in my local dump, I managed to acquire them from the finder. The group consists of a three bar QSA, two bar KSA, 14 Star and bar unfortunately the BWM must have broken off at the suspender therefore is probably still in the dump. Interestingly the medals are mounted on a 4 medal bar, the Victory doesn't appear to ever have been present  maybe it was lost before the rest of the medals were mounted.

Any information on his capture and which POW camp he was sent to would be most helpful.

Cheers

Graham 

Hi Graham, 

Have you tried the ICRC records? They should give a date he was taken prisoner and (if memory serves) a rough location.

There is also a small chance he  turns up in the Casualty List thread

This includes a few dozen lists of POWs, some are from records forwarded from the German authorities, others after the Armistice of men returning to the UK. All of these lists have a list number prefixed by an X, so if you look at the latest index of the lists, it will help navigate to lists of POWs. Pretty laborious, I'm afraid.

David.

Look at the reverse of the cards linked to by Peter, there are some other numbers to follow.

Charlie

ICRC PoW cards often also show on capture if Verwundet [Wounded] - sometimes with details or Unverwundet [Unwounded]

WFA/Fold3 pension cards show he put in a disability claim for a GSW Leg - he got a disabilty pension of 8/3 pw from 3.4.19 to 7.10.19 [the 30% disability rate for a Pte/LCpl] - His claim seems to have likely continued past this period.  His address was originally 16 Grindley Brook, Whitchurch, Shropshire, and later 63 Ramsbottom St, Crewe, and his year of birth was 1879. 

M

Edited by Matlock1418
more pension details

The card notes he was missing from 11th November [1914]. The 1st Scots Guards reported 430 OR missing around that date in Ypres (War Diary).

WO95 1263-2 part entry for 11th November. Source TNA

image.png.5103e218dd69ce9344558d81eaa2b7d8.png

Peter

43 minutes ago, petwes said:

The 1st Scots Guards reported 430 OR missing around that date in Ypres

ICRC POW have his place of capture [Ort der gefangennahme] as Ypres, 11.11.14

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Graham

Did we answer your questions? (I think there are, at least, 4 ICRC reference numbers you need to look at, you might have to scan a few records each side and Evans could be misspelled, so out of order).

Is there anything else you would like to ask?

Peter

Hi Peter

Yes, between you all, as usual, you've come up with information that i didn't know was out there.

Thanks for the help everyone it's much appreciated 

Cheers

Graham