Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish RGA units

kildaremark

Does anyone know which Batteries of RGA, if any, were made up of members of Coastal batteries serving in Ireland in 1914-15?

I'm trying to track a soldier who was in a Coastal Battery in Ireland and want to ascertain which Battery he would most likely have initially gone to for the war.

Thanks

Kildaremark

Try a search on forum for 'Antrim Artillery' - I seem to remember this coming up before. Best of luck. Search 'from the beginning' as it was some time ago.

Des

The other RGA in Ireland ( in the South ) was the Cork Artillery. Both Antrim and Cork Artillery were Special Reserve formations. Regular formations of RGA were (according to the August 1914 Army List) 10, 15, 43 and 49 Companies.

Hope this helps,

Wienand

Thanks, I knew about the companies and a further unit at Fermoy, Co. Cork and possibly Athlone but I'm hoping to find out would some of these companies or at least the majority of their fit members have gone to a particular heavy or siege battery for the duration of the war. I know members would have changed from unit to unit but in the same way that for example the 178 Seige Battery was raised at Forth, the 76 Seige Battery was raised at Harwich and the 135 Seige Batterey was raised at Tynemouth would those stationed in Ireland have formed particular batteries.

Incidentally, my granddad's RGA number was 64276 - which leads me to believe that he would have enlisted circa 1912-13. Any comment on this would be much appreciated.

Mark