Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Requesting information on William Cecil Uwins

berlingobob

William Cecil Uwins won the MM in 1917 L/C 

STR262 Royal Fusiliers London Div

I think he won the MM (but don't know why it) in 1917 and appeared to join in 1914, but can't see what happened to him after 1917. 

Can anyone provide more info please? 

Due to Uwins being an uncommon surname. He is down in the books as surviving the war. There is a marriage between a William C. Uwins and a Dorothy G. Baxter in 1925 in Hackney. William C,DOB 10/10/1895, and Dorothy G appear in the 1939 register living in Harrow. A william C., died Middlesex 1961

Have you Tried looking in local newspapers? They are the best source for reason why someone got the military medal

Regarding his MM the MIC shows LG date of 18 July 1917 and for service as a Lance Corporal in the 10th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (Stockbroker's Battalion hence STK Regimental number as you probably know).  As we have "France" you may be looking at a Passchendaele related award and other related LG entries may confirm this.  The MM MIC is further annotated as "LCpl now Sgt" which may suggest a related promotion......but I wouldn't put big money on that.  Best bet for any "forgotten" detail remains newspapers as Coldstreamer rightly suggests. His MIC (15 Star, BWM and BVM) shows him at the end of the War a WO2.

Edited by TullochArd

11 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

Intentional Deletion - double entry.

Edited by TullochArd

His MM:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30188/supplement/7286

LONDON GAZETTE, 18 JULY, 1917

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to award the Military Medal for bravery in the Field to the undermentioned Ladies, Non-commissioned Officers and Men :— ...   STK262 L./C. (now Sjt.) W. C. Uwins, R. Fus.

His Bar to his MM:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31173/supplement/2083

LONDON GAZETTE, 11 FEBRUARY, 1919

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of a Bar to the Military Medal to the undermentioned Warrant; Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men: — Bar to Military Medal ... Stk./262 Coy./S.M. W. C. Uwins, M.M., 10th Bn., R.F. (Stoke Newington)  ... (M.M's gazetted 18th July, 1917.)

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add MM link etc

Have a read at this previous post in GWF regarding another Stockbroker's Battalion MM and Bar and the background research carried out regarding War Diaries on him. The pattern may also fit here.

Also, as WO2, your relative may get a mention in this book ............... and of course the (now known as) RRF Regimental Headquarters and Museum is still very much up and running at the Tower of London (contact Assistant Curator on rrfmuseumlondon@thefusiliers.org.)

10 RF.jpg

Part 2.....there's a little bit more too, but nothing military related.

uwins obit 2.jpg

Edited by Neil 2242

• 10 months later...

I have just noticed this thread while searching about the 'Stockbrokers Battalion' for another MM winner from 10th RF.

The 18 July 1917 LG lists awards for the Battle of Arras and Vimy Ridge, 9 April to 4 June 1917' (Bate & Williamson). There are likely to be others to the 10th RF in the same LG.

He was a CSM by the time he got his MM bar at the end of the war (11 Feb 1919 LG):

image.png.676d88c9860d83efca2dd42595cee1c1.png

I am researching one of the many MMs to 10th RF listed in the LG of 24 Jan 1919: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31142/supplement/1217

These were for the Battle of Amiens - Aug - early Sept 1918.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Honours & Awards listed in the 10 RF war diary at end of June 1917: The National Archives' reference WO 95/2532/1
This seems to confirm that these awards were for the Battle of the Scarpe. The MC citations will help to confirm it.

10 RF 1.png

10 RF 2.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• 7 months later...

William Cecil Uwins was my maternal grandfather, known to the family as Cecil, most of the details on here are correct he survived the war married in I believe 1924 and had 3 children two sons and a daughter (my mother).  He worked in the Stock settlements office in one of the city merchant banks, I don't know what not was called at the time but it became in more recent time Morgan Grenfell (and most latterly Deutchebank).  My interest (apart from the family connection he died 18 months before I was born) was to better understand what he went through during the war.  I have copies of his medal citations spaced roughly 15 months apart when it appears he have gone through the NCO ranks from L/CPL to RSM.

As already observed here his regimental number indicates he was an early volunteer but family legend says he only went to France in the late summer/autumn of 16 so not sure what his duties or service was before this.  I've not managed to find any details of his service record and where he personally served for the early part of the war.

Again to confirm he served again in the home guard in North Harrow during WW2 and he can be seen in the battalion photographs which graced the entrance to the home guard club.  I visited the site a few years ago, the club is still going and the photo was still there.  Ive not, as yet done any real research into his WW2 service

My mother has passed on some years ago but I have a second cousin and Uncle still living who knew him well whilst both are aging they maybe able to add to the details above.  If anyone here could point me in the direction of further records I would be grateful I have his citations, medal card and I know he was in 10RF but not sure in which company?  I have recently read David Carters book which has filled in something to do with the battalions experiences and has helped my understanding, I just need to overlay what I know about where my grandfather was and at which battles against the book.  I must say it is a fascinating read!

I attached a photo of his medals which are in the procession of my Uncle.

Medals WC Uwins [3]-2.pdf

Welcome to the GWF. Great to see William Cecil Uwin's MM & bar medal group.

His medal card & rolls show he first disembarked in France on 30/31 July 1915 with the 10th RF (he got the 1915 star). MIC & medal roll from Ancestry:

10th RF service summary: https://wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/battalion.php?pid=6897

UWINS MIC.png

Uwins MR.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info