Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Francis Herbert Hodgson (Accidentally Killed)

petet

Does anyone have any information on the cause of death of Francis Herbert Hodgson who was accidentally killed whilst serving with 35 Squadron on 19th November 1918

Your usual help would be much appreciated

Regards

PeteT

Thanks for tracking down that article; all the information I need (and more); I just need to see if I can establish the serial number

Regards

PeteT

He and his observer, 2nd Lieut John Hector Taylor, were killed in Bristol Fighter F4443, merely listed as 'nose dived and crashed after take-off for practice flight'.

Graeme

F4443 was from a batch of 700 Bristol Fighters ordered from British & Colonial Aeroplane Co, Filton, Bristol under Contract Number 35A/779/C658 dated 5 June 1918 and numbered F4271 to F4970; a good number of these were still flying with the RAF in 1924.

Airhistory.org gives:

F4443 Bristol Fighter - 1691WD51890,  O Flt, 19.11.18, Nose dived and crashed after t/o for practice flight. Capt FH Hodgson+/2Lt JH Taylor+ [initials not shown] AIR 1/865 cas rep, 21/img_2755, cas rep

F4443 Bristol Fighter - O Flt, 19.11.18, Nose dived and crashed on practice flight. Capt FH Hodgson+/2Lt JH Taylor+ AIR 1/969 cas book, 23/img_2448, cas book

Graeme

Thanks, as always, for your feedback. I don't seem to have a record of the Bristol Fighters that were on charge of 35 squadron during this period, so I will have to do a bit more research on that matter.

Regards

PeteT

Would anyone happen to have a copy of this Report on Casualties? 

F4443 Bristol Fighter - 1691WD51890,  O Flt, 19.11.18, Nose dived and crashed after t/o for practice flight. Capt FH Hodgson+/2Lt JH Taylor+ [initials not shown] AIR 1/865 cas rep, 21/img_2755, cas rep