Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Topography of the Somme- talk

burlington

I am giving a talk to the WFA (Gwent) tonight at Abergavenny.

Wish me luck please- I don't really know why I volunteered so many months ago.

Must have been the good beer at the British Legion!

Martin

Martin

The best of luck. I take tours to the battlefields and give talks. My audiences are mainly serving or ex-military and they can be daunting enough. I attend the York WFA and am always impressed by the level of knowledge of members there; they would terrify me as an audience. Let us know hoa you get on.

Best wishes

Chris

PS: What's your topic for tonight?

The topography of the Somme ie

High & low land

Water

Soil

Woods

Habitations

Weather

Martin

Best of luck with the talk, Martin. The topic sounds really interesting and something they will want to hear. That's always a plus point!

Tom

I wish you well - I have spoken to a few WFA branches in my time and have always had a nice welcome. I am sure you will enjoy it - I would have liked to hear the talk myself!

I have some data on metals within soils around Albert and Longueval if your interested martin.

Daza

Daza

Yes please if you can.

Don't rush; I am all packed up ready to go for tonight as it were. I can add your data to my talk IF anyone also wants to hear it sometime!

Thanks

Martin

Do you have excel?

The topography of the Somme

So, how did it go?

Chris

So, how did it go?

Chris

Very good thanks.

55 minutes 'running time'. The Chairman bought me a pint, and they clapped me afterwards! So I must have done something right.

I can relax now and think of something else.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Martin

Well done.

I can relax now and think of something else

Martin

So did your prep open up anything new to you - a grid reference that you must check out next time you're over in France? Did you get the "I know rhe answer to the clever question I'm about to pose" type reaction?

Will you publish your address as a paper?

Chris

So did your prep open up anything new to you - a grid reference that you must check out next time you're over in France?  Did you get the "I know rhe answer to the clever question I'm about to pose" type reaction?

Not really. The idea for the talk came after my last visit to the Somme so all my own material was originally obtained for another purpose. When I go out again, at the end of April, it will be in the light of the talk and what I need to get to enhance it.

Will you publish your address as a paper?

Not likely!!

Martin

Just a thought in case all my hard work goes to waste.

I wonder if there would be an interest if I made the PowerPoint presentation available to Pals?

Or would this open a can of worms eg copyright and so on?

The thing is over 27mb so it is no baby.

What do you think?

Just a thought in case all my hard work goes to waste.

I wonder if there would be an interest if I made the PowerPoint presentation available to Pals?

Or would this open a can of worms eg copyright and so on?

The thing is over 27mb so it is no baby.

What do you think?

Martin

I would like to see your presentation. I did a small powerpoint one for myself with my own photo's and some I aquired from the web. It is only 3 mb a mere tadpole to yours.

I am visiting the western front in May armed with digital camera, spare battery and 290mb of memory xd cards.

So i should come back with plenty of images.

Congratulations on the success of your talk/presentation at Abergavenny

Cheers

Paul

Martin

I'd certainly be interested in sight of your presentation.

I've been invited to speak to a military health workers' study period in a couple of months. Although I've been given carte blanche I'll most probably talk about Gallipoli with emphasis on medical support. Other options that I'm keen to put together are Myth and Mythology - Time for Revision and a session based on Tommies' lives, pre- duration and post war. However, it's several years since I retired and I'm out of practice with Powerpoint etc; your presentation might offer some hints.

It would, in addition, be useful for my own future tours to the Somme.

So, if you don't mind some honest plagiarism, would be delighted to see your work. Happy to receive by Email. Happy to reciprocate once my own text is completed.

Regards

Chris Best

Chris

The thing is 28mb!! Too large to email really.

Let me have your address via a PM & I will post.

Martin

Why not submit it to Stand To!?

Paul

How would I do that?

The presentation is very much a visual and illustrative thing. I could turn it into an all-text item, but I think that a lot of such impact as there is would be lost.

Also, the presentation was conceived between visits to the Somme and as my part

of the material was not designed originally for the presentation per se, my subsequent visits to the area are part intended to get material which would enhance what I have done- I hope. If you see what I mean!

Martin

Well Martin you know the subject and your material and I don't so... give it some thought but if not possible, it's not. You know Ann would give you space for a few pictures/graphs/charts and of course it must be of resonable length. Was it a power point talk? Slides?

Paul

Yes it was Powerpoint. Some 38 slides excl. title slides, and some 40 images.

See what I mean?

martin