Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S-8572 Pte. P. O 'DONNELL

Stevend

I am researching this soldier frkm my ljcal town of Coatbridge 

He serced in 7th Seaforth Highlanders i believe  he died on 10th April 1917 possibly from wounds.

I would like to find out where the 7th were in the line in the days prior to his death. 

Any help is appreciated 

1 hour ago, Stevend said:

I would like to find out where the 7th were in the line in the days prior to his death. 

Just had a quick look at the war diaries (available free at the national Archives after registering with them also free). The 7th Battalion were in the trenches at St Laurent Blangy, Arras in the thick of things, Second Battle of Arras. Well worth looking at the War Diaries yourself especially when you can see them free of charge.

EDIT: The diaries show that the 7th Battalion were involved in heavy fighting at DUISANS at the 1st April until moving to St Laurent Blangy some 7 or 8 miles closer to Arras.

Edited by Allan1892

1 hour ago, Stevend said:

he died on 10th April 1917 possibly from wounds

The Soldiers Died in the Great war database records that he died of wounds on the 10 April 1917.

The attached image (courtesy of CWGC) shows that his body was exhumed and reburied. The entry shows an approximate map reference of where his body was first buried. Someone else on the Forum may be able to give you a location based on the map reference.

O'Donnell.jpg

3 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

The entry shows an approximate map reference of where his body was first buried. Someone else on the Forum may be able to give you a location based on the map reference

Try TMapper https://www.tmapper.com

And/Or Trench Mapper from the WFA https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/trenchmapper-public [works even better if a WFA member]

Enter in the place search options: 51B.H.19.c.5.8

M