Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this picture Egypt 1916.

brianmorris547

In 2020 I posted a picture of three Bolton Artillery Men on the East Lancashire Div RFA (T) thread in The Western Front Forum. The picture had been provided by Steve Ratcliffe. One of the men was George Wilkinson. Steve has also provided this group picture, George Wilkinson is the man sitting down with no cap on the left as we look. George went out to Egypt in September 1914 with the East Lancs RFA and saw action on the Suez Canal in February 1915 and in Gallipoli. He went to France with 211 Brigade RFA in March 1917.

This picture may be Egypt 1916. Can anybody recognise anyone or suggest where the location was. It may be a hospital if those are hospital uniforms or a rest camp but why are some men showing off pot plants.

The 1916 War Diaries for the CRA 42 Div and the Bolton Artillery are not digitized. I have read them at Kew.

Thank you in anticipation.

group.jpg

On page 9 of the East Lancashire Div Thread I posted a picture of 21241 BSM James Percy Wright of the Bolton Artillery. He had been Commissioned in Gallipoli and had been awarded the MC at Suvla Bay. The Bolton Chronicle 29/01/1916 reported that Lt Wright had visited the Bolton Artillery upon their return to Egypt.

The picture of Lt Wright in the Bolton papers (initials wrongly recorded) looks like the man standing at the rear.

jpwright.jpg

Was George 1198 L/Sgt Wilkinson? If so, his SWB record states (see below via Ancestry) that he was discharged as a result of sickness on 07 Jul 16. If he served on the WF in 1917, perhaps he re-joined, unless the 'discharged' means 'War Medal Awarded' (expert needed).

WILKINSON.JPG.e942dcfc59a9b44e3b9ee59f0cd9398a.JPG

In any case, if his battery returned to Egypt post-Gallipoli, it is reasonable to assume that he was in hospital with sickness in the first half of 1916, unless he was evacuated there from G in 1915.

The uniforms and variety of cap badges suggest to me that the photo was taken at a hospital. Growing pot plants (those look distinctly Mediterranean) may have been remedial activity for the recovering, bored inmates.

Acknown

Amendment: Now that I've read the East Lancs RFA thread, I see that I'm wrong. He's not No. 1198, but 1393. I think my general comments are still valid.

Edited by Acknown

• Admin
4 hours ago, Acknown said:

The uniforms and variety of cap badges suggest to me that the photo was taken at a hospital. Growing pot plants (those look distinctly Mediterranean) may have been remedial activity for the recovering, bored inmates.

I would concur with your thoughts Acknown, young palm trees perhaps? @brianmorris547can we find out if Lt Wright was wounded, as he looks to be wearing hospital blues, or whatever colour they are in hot climates?

The question of which actual hospital leaves too many options to answer, but Alexandria, Malta and Gibraltar would all be possible locations on the hospital transport run from Gallipoli.

I've looked for a wounded Wright and Wilkinson with the details given and had no luck.

Given the location perhaps sickness is more likely than wounded.

Findmypast- Wright is on a list of Permanent Staff 1/3 ELFA Bde. in Ismaillia, Egypt 1/4/1915.

TEW

9 hours ago, TEW said:

I've looked for a wounded Wright and Wilkinson with the details given and had no luck.

Given the location perhaps sickness is more likely than wounded.

Findmypast- Wright is on a list of Permanent Staff 1/3 ELFA Bde. in Ismaillia, Egypt 1/4/1915.

TEW

TEW

Yes I've seen that and posted it on the East Lancs Div RFA thread. James Percy Wright was ex BSM and QM 21241. He was first mentioned in the Bolton Evening News 02/11/1915 in a list of Officers and Senior NCOs of the Bolton Artillery in Gallipoli. He was named as Lt J P Wright, 18 Bty. The BEN 26/11/1915 then pictured him (see above) and reported that he had been Commissioned. The Bolton Chronicle 29/01/1916 reported that he had visited the Bolton Artillery in Egypt after Gallipoli and reported that during the evacuation Lt Wright and two Gunners had kept their gun firing. They were to receive the DCM. 2/Lt James Percy Wright RA is named in the LG 29608 June 1916 awarded the MC. Lastly the Bolton Journal 19/04/1918 reported that Captain J P Wright had been presented with his MC at Buckingham Palace. He had won the MC at Suvla Bay and was presently on sick leave with septic pneumonia.

I have read through all the WDs I could find of Artillery Units at Suvla during the evacuation but I could find no mention of this action. I am going through the Times OCL early 1916 to see if I can find him named as wounded in the Med lists. I am also looking for seven 3rd East Lancs RFA men who were slightly wounded during the evacuation, mentioned in the BEN on 17/01/1916.

Update on Lt Wright.

The WD of 59 Brigade, 11 Division (WO 95/4298) for 21/10/1915 records 2/Lt Wright joined the Brigade.

I checked the LG 29608, in which Lt Wright is named, for RFA DCMs, Units are mentioned after the names. There were two names from B/59 Brigade which are good possibles, 83314 F Robinson and 21310 A Shelley. The citations seem to fit the action mentioned in the previous post. The WD for 59 Bde 19/12/1915 records that B/59 took part in the last Action at Suvla. The Battery was evacuated from Suvla on 20/12/1915, arrived Mudros 21/12, Alex 26/12 and Wardan Camp near Cairo on 28/12.

I am still checking the Times OCLs. 

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547