Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 14 Balloon Section RFC - No 34 Squadron RFC - Lt Jonathan Gumersal Sharp MC

HuntingtonBD

Hello everyone.  I am looking for information on a Canadian soldier named Jonathan Gumersal Sharp who served in the RFC as an observer in the No. 14 Balloon Section then transferred to No. 34 Squadron (as a observer) where he received his Military Cross.   I have been able to find his gazette for receiving the MC which is great.  I was also able to find the following excerpt about him while in the 14 Section Balloon Corp.

21/4/17 & 4/5/17 – Lt. Sharp parachuted from burning balloons. On the latter occasion Lt. Sharp stayed in the basket firing his revolver at the E.A. although the balloon was well alight.

Any further help especially while he served with the Balloon Corp would be appreciated.

Kind regards

B

13 minutes ago, HuntingtonBD said:

Hello everyone.  I am looking for information on a Canadian soldier named Jonathan Gumersal Sharp who served in the RFC as an observer in the No. 14 Balloon Section then transferred to No. 34 Squadron (as a observer) where he received his Military Cross.   I have been able to find his gazette for receiving the MC which is great.  I was also able to find the following excerpt about him while in the 14 Section Balloon Corp.

21/4/17 & 4/5/17 – Lt. Sharp parachuted from burning balloons. On the latter occasion Lt. Sharp stayed in the basket firing his revolver at the E.A. although the balloon was well alight.

Any further help especially while he served with the Balloon Corp would be appreciated.

Kind regards

B

Hello B. Welcome to the forum. Fold3 hold the following information on Jonathan and the reason he was awarded the MC as a member of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

'MC as observer/gunner att 34 Squadron Royal Flying Corps for rescuing pilot after crashing near the Nieuwpoort canal 5 Aug 1917'

I hope this is of some use.

Edited by Gunner 87

His RAF service record is available online at the National Archives as a free download, it looks as though there is also an associated Army officer's service file as well, but this has not been digitized.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8225248

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1106926