Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 8 Squadron and Air & Armoured Co-operation

BFBSM

Hi,

I have been looking at the development of Air & Armoured Co-operation and am seeking help in finding details on the work of Leigh Trafford-Mallory and No. 8 Squadron. I have looked at the National Archives website for the diaries of said Squadron and am unable to locate them and am wondering if anyone can help me finding it. 

I would also appreciate guidance in finding any other documents, books or any other materials which could assist me with my research. I am reading Liddell Hart's The Tanks at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Mark

6 hours ago, BFBSM said:

Hi,

I have been looking at the development of Air & Armoured Co-operation and am seeking help in finding details on the work of Leigh Trafford-Mallory and No. 8 Squadron. I have looked at the National Archives website for the diaries of said Squadron and am unable to locate them and am wondering if anyone can help me finding it. 

I would also appreciate guidance in finding any other documents, books or any other materials which could assist me with my research. I am reading Liddell Hart's The Tanks at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Mark

Hi

You may find my article on 'Tank Contact Patrols, The Development of Air and Tank Co-operation in 1918' that appeared in two parts in 'Cross & Cockade International' Winter 2009 and Spring 2010 of use.  It contains most of the TNA references within the article.  I have found some other information since they were written but this will give you some of the main points.  A most useful TNA document is Major Trafford Leigh-Mallory's 'History of Tank and Aeroplane Co-operation' (AIR 1/1671/204/109/26) which he wrote in 1919.

If you have any questions or problems on this subject you can contact me via this thread or PM me.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I shall look for the article. And the said TNA document.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in 8 squadron as well for early 1917 and haven't been able to work out if there are Logs available anywhere 

• 10 months later...

I have copies of the Sq record book for September to December 1918. PM me if you have questions or want me to look something up.