Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to try and date Baron Von Richthofen photographs

Jeff Pickerd

From a Turkish magazine my grandfather acquired/purloined some time after April 1917 in Palestine, which contains photographs sourced from Germany, there are several dealing with German air aces. The attached page deals with Baron Von Richtofen, and may hold a clue to establishing as to when they were taken, particularly the photo of his room with the identification numbers of downed Allied planes displayed. As there are some photos of American war ships, that must date the magazine from after the 6th April, 1917 when the USA entered the theater of war.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Photographs page 10.JPG

14 hours ago, Jeff Pickerd said:

From a Turkish magazine my grandfather acquired/purloined some time after April 1917 in Palestine, which contains photographs sourced from Germany, there are several dealing with German air aces. The attached page deals with Baron Von Richtofen, and may hold a clue to establishing as to when they were taken, particularly the photo of his room with the identification numbers of downed Allied planes displayed. As there are some photos of American war ships, that must date the magazine from after the 6th April, 1917 when the USA entered the theater of war.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Photographs page 10.JPG

Hi Jeff. The airforcemuseum.co.nz has the line-up of Albatros D.III fighters of Manfred von Richthofen’s Jasta 11, at Douai, France during April 1917. The iwm.org.uk has the photograph of the room, belonging to Geiser Theodore, Official German Photographer, as May 1917. 

Edited by Gunner 87

JWK and Gunner, my many thanks, your information has moved the search for a date of publication into May of 1917. I shall see if any other photographs from within the magazine match the work of Geiser Theodore.

Jeff