Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a Vickers pattern 1907 bayonet?

mcb9022

Greetings everyone

This is my first post on this forum. I was hoping that I might get some help from the very knowledgeable folk on the forum in identifying the manufacturer of this pattern 1907 bayonet that I have recently acquired. The maker's name is mostly concealed or obliterated behind something that appears to me to be brazing or soldering. I include here a picture as a comparison showing the ricasso markings of my bayonet on the left and a Vickers bayonet on the right. The picture on the right comes from the net.  Vickers-P1907-comparison-markings.jpg.92b16e7d5b385f89a78db9a69f1f8cfe.jpg

It would appear to me that the only makers name that could correspond with the little that is left of the stamping would be Vickers. It seems that the "V" can in fact be missing or so lightly stamped that it is almost not visible. Most of the pictures that I have seen of Vickers blades however show a clear stamp. I was confused by the lack of the "V" in a "C" that appears on a Vickers blade. It looks like mine has the remains of the "C" but as far as I can tell that is a "30" stamped sideways that may have obliterated the "V". The Crown, GR and 1907 are clearly visible. The "9" is also very heavily stamped but the year is completely hidden. Another question I have is about the brazing. Would the blade have been stamped before the cross guard was brazed in place? Would it therefore be possible that the date of manufacture be obliterated by the brazing when the bayonet was new? Or is this possibly a later repair? Is the "30" possibly a reissue date? As far as I understand the drain hole in the pommel of a Vickers bayonet is a little larger than in other bayonets from different manufacturers. I have compared this bayonet with a Sanderson and a Wilkinson that I also have in my collection and the hole is noticeably larger. Vickers-bayonet-question.jpg.d03b361a001b7854c78e1eec0dbd2e47.jpg Here is a picture of the bayonet and scabbard. The bayonet blade is in the white and has possibly been sand blasted at some stage but the ricasso remains blued. The blade is dull and does not appear to have been sharpened and then dulled again. The scabbard is a Remington but that may not mean anything as far as  determining who made the bayonet and it may well not be the original scabbard. The scales on the handle show normal wear as far as I can tell commensurate with the age of the bayonet.

Any help in identifying the maker of this 1907 bayonet would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum,

I would be quite happy with this as a vickers, the 30 inspection stamp as you’ve said obliterates the V, but a common trait with these was a break in the c at the bottom, which is clearly visible on yours. The clearance hole looks bigger as it is chamfered, a lead in. It’s clearly had work at some stage, the post below shows a number off vickers markings for comparison.

I am sure someone with more detailed knowledge will add a little more.

Dave.

Thank you very much Dave for your post and the link to the very interesting post relating to possible numbers of Vickers 1907 bayonets still in existence. 

Sorry, I forgot to sign my original post.

Regards

Mark

High 'mcb9022'.

I'm 50/50 with this one at the moment. The reason being... the way the 'V' within a 'C' has been obliterated. In recent months there have been several 'supposed' original Vickers production P13's on the market.... ALL very suspect. I have a collection of seven Vickers '07's to compare your item with. Would you be able to show a close-up of the clearance hole in the pommel... both sides please?

mcb9022,

Would you be able to supply an accurate weight for this Vickers and the two comparator bayonets?

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943

Ayup 'JMB1943'

I could certainly supply an average for the one's I have also.

Edited by sgt-maj

Sgt-maj.,

NOT averages, rather the individual values are much more useful!

Please do send them.

Regards,

JMB

Edit: Could you also run those 6 EFD HQ bayonets by the balance??

Edited by JMB1943

23 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Sgt-maj.,

NOT averages, rather the individual values are much more useful!

Please do send them.

Regards,

JMB

Edit: Could you also run those 6 EFD HQ bayonets by the balance??

Righto... Will Do! :thumbsup:

Thank you Sgt-maj and JMB for your interest and comments. I will take some close up pictures of the hole in the pommel of the "Vickers??" bayonet and post them. I have 14 pattern 1907 bayonets in my collection so I can easily weigh them and post the results. Is it of interest to also include the date of manufacture with the weights?

Regards

Mark

Sgt-maj

Here are some closeup pictures of the hole in the pommel.

JMB

The weight according to some digital kitchen scales is 473g. Weights of the other bayonets in my collection to follow. 

Regards

Mark IMG_20220517_210230202_HDR.jpg.35d7d49168a7e4d5124126ae0c7c7997.jpgIMG_20220517_210248119_HDR.jpg.ab30403666fd86d07fd1b071759f7d5e.jpg

mcb9022,

Thanks for  that weight, but no other info is necessary.

Have a look at the paper in the link for details  as to why I am interested in the weights.

Although the initial weight survey was finished some years ago, I am still interested in the topic.

Regards,

JMB

Edit: Looking at Tables 2 & 3, you can see that your Vickers @ 473 g is barely outside of the WILK range, and is at the lower end of the other four maker ranges.

Edited by JMB1943

JMB

Here are the weights of 11 of my 1907 bayonets. I have 3 more but the batteries of my kitchen scales expired before I was finished. I will send the weights as soon as new batteries are procured. One of the bayonets has an unknown maker, it has been so covered with control stamps etc that the makers name has been totally obliterated.

Regards

Mark

Weights of P1907 bayonets.csv

mcb9022,

Thanks for the listing.

It is obvious that the two bayonets from Oz (Lithgow & OA) are noticeably heavier than those made in the UK.

Drilling a clearance hole, which the Oz bayonets lacked, removes about 2.8 g, but I have been told/read that the pommel is a little longer on Oz bayonets VS UK-made examples so that probably accounts for the overweight.

Identification of the maker can sometimes be made by inspection of the Crown / number / letter inspection stamps.

Would you care to post a photo of each side of the ricasso of this not identified bayonet?

Regards,

JMB

Good morning JMB

Yes, the Australian bayonets do seem to be heavy weights compared to the others. Both my Australian bayonets do actually have clearance holes, possibly added after they were issued? That would make their original weights even more by 2.8g. My "Vickers" bayonet seems to be lighter than any of my other ones. I will take pictures of the mystery bayonet this evening after I get home from work and post them. I can also measure the pommels of the Australian bayonets and a few of my British bayonets and see if there is much difference.

Regards

Mark

JMB

Good evening.

I am posting some pictures of the mystery bayonet. I would be very interested to hear your views about it. I have also weighed the additional 3 bayonets that I have and attatch an new list. I did a rather quick measurement of the pommels of the Australian bayonets (Lithgow and OA) and compared with one of my other bayonets but did not find any discernable differences in the lengths. I'll need to spend a bit more time with a vernier caliper to see if there are noticeable differences.

Regards

Mark

Weights of P1907 bayonets v2.csv 2035741915_P1907bayonetandscabbard2.jpg.f674d04e748cadb6d192c4b7ef6a73c6.jpg952159368_P1907bayonetpommel.jpg.fe4d96508b9dd58e1059ad4cba1f7fd1.jpg1078511980_P1907bayonetricasso1.jpg.95b0796ddf8cb00ccb83994977978979.jpg946798406_P1907bayonetricasso2.jpg.83120087f9d6d5443bf7b7998c5a8b9f.jpg

Mark,

This bayonet has a ricasso that is amongst the least decipherable that I have seen in ages---and the other one is not much better!

I have only recorded a single Crown/F2/E inspector's stamp, and that was on an EFD-made P.'07.

See,

Regards,

JMB

Mark,

Having referenced the post by garfyboy, I keep going back to the photo that you posted.

There is no trace of an EFD stamp close to the cross-guard, but there is something barely visible quite high above the cross-guard.

I’m wondering if this is in fact is a WILKINSON / PALL MALL bayonet……….

Another clue MAY be the flying bumblebee appearance of the Broad Arrow stamp.

My memory is a little fuzzy as to whether this is a characteristic of a certain maker(s).

I need to check my small collection.

Regards,

JMB

I would suggest that the Mystery bayonet is indeed a Wilkinson example of perhaps late 1917 vintage. It has been well reissued, (refurbished and sandblasted) with a plethora of dates almost into the WW2 era. The highly placed makers mark is characteristic of the late war Wilkinson Pall Mall stamping. Also I think a Crown 1W/E inspection mark would again support a Wilkinson origin.

Cheers, SS

PS. Other clues helpful in maker identification can include size and style of the 1907 font, the shape of the Crown stamp, style of the Broad Arrow, style of the blade runout (where the blade edge ends) and the shape of the fuller groove.

Edited by shippingsteel

Good morning.

Thank you JMB and SS for your very interesting contributions. I am including here a picture with my mystery bayonet on the left and a Wilkinson Pall Mall bayonet on the right, also produced in 1917. The picture on the right comes from the net. It does seem that there are possibly some remnants of the maker's name at the same height that the Wilkinson would be. I don't know if the font type for the "7" in the "1907" is peculiar to Wilkinson but they seem to be the same. I am guessing that the Crown has mostly disappeared as a result of sand blasting in ages past? Anyway, it most probably will remain a mystery bayonet that has obviously been well used in it's service life.

Regards

Mark 

Wilkinson-PallMall.jpg.bab78436f70ba390bd956eda4a87d09d.jpg 

On 18/05/2022 at 02:46, mcb9022 said:

Good morning JMB

Yes, the Australian bayonets do seem to be heavy weights compared to the others. Both my Australian bayonets do actually have clearance holes, possibly added after they were issued? That would make their original weights even more by 2.8g. My "Vickers" bayonet seems to be lighter than any of my other ones. I will take pictures of the mystery bayonet this evening after I get home from work and post them. I can also measure the pommels of the Australian bayonets and a few of my British bayonets and see if there is much difference.

Regards

Mark

I did take a digital caliper to 4 of mine (Mole; WILK; LITH; OA), but even then, taking very accurate measurements was a little dicey; to try to minimize errors, I took 6 determinations on each bayonet.

Mean values are given below in mm:

MOLE  34. 52     WILK  34.72    Grand Mean  35.62

LITH    36.70       OA     36.25    Grand Mean  36.47

The Oz pommels appear to be about 2.15 mm longer than those from the UK.

This corresponds to about only 6 g weight difference, and when Trajan and I had looked into the weight variations (of UK made only) we concluded that the depth of the fuller was the dominant factor.

Regards,

JMB

Good morning JMB

I've been out of town for a little while so a bit of a late reply. You have some interesting results there. I will look at my Australian bayonets again and take some pommel measurements and compare with my British bayonets. I'm a bit old fashioned and still use a vernier caliper! It is very logical to think that the depth of the fuller accounts for the noticeable weight differences between bayonets. Is there any information to be found about the actual manufacturing processes involved in producing these bayonets? 

Regards

Mark

Mark,

I found it difficult to take the measurements because of the pommel abutting the wooden grips, which I did not care to try to remove.

The manufacturing process in Oz in the 1950s is described in "The Australian Service Bayonet", by Ian Skennerton, where 82 steps are itemized, pp. 33-44.

There are 82 operations listed above, while it was noted that production of the HQ model of 1913 required 146 different operations. This discrepancy would be due to more efficient        procedures developed over 40 years, the omission of the HQ, the fact that the pommel and crosspiece were supplied partly finished , and the wooden grips with two securing screws were not fitted in the above list.

However, the machinery is neither described nor illustrated.

Regards,

JMB

Just for info/comparison, (and I know sgt-maj will find this interesting) a vickers 1913 has just popped on a website I regularly browse throug.

Dave.

https://www.jdrmilitaria.co.uk/product/rare-vickers-p13-bayonet-1-off-1500-produced-2/

• 1 year later...

Dave, no chance you remember the price of this bayonet? 

kind regards

g

On 27/05/2022 at 02:47, Dave66 said:

Just for info/comparison, (and I know sgt-maj will find this interesting) a vickers 1913 has just popped on a website I regularly browse throug.

Dave.

https://www.jdrmilitaria.co.uk/product/rare-vickers-p13-bayonet-1-off-1500-produced-2/

52 minutes ago, navydoc16 said:

Dave, no chance you remember the price of this bayonet? 

kind regards

g

So sorry….not the foggiest after all that time😂, wouldn’t have been cheap.

Dave.