Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish reaction on the ground to withdrawal at Gallipoli

TullochArd

Has anyone ever come across a Turkish account of their reaction on the ground to finding the Gallipoli Peninsula vacated?  I'm struggling to find anything detailed and would appreciate a steer should anyone have trod this particular path before.  I've turned up nothing other than rather vague references to date.  Many thanks. TullochArd.

• Admin

Travers cites Zeki Bey https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/ART02868

See Chapter XV111 of Gallipoli Mission

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1416967

Don't know if it is what you want but it's a start, bearing in mind that after the evacuation of Anzac and Suvla the Turks were aware Helles would probably be evacuated and appear to have adopted, according to Traver a 'live and let live 'policy with just one half hearted attack.

Hello, attached is a thesis on this topic written in 2020. It's in Turkish but the Google Translate should do the job.

626356.pdf

13 hours ago, emrezmen said:

Hello, attached is a thesis on this topic written in 2020. It's in Turkish but the Google Translate should do the job.

Hello emrezmen.  Google Translate worked a treat.  The document provides a fantastic level of detail and informed perspective that is way beyond my expectation.  I've got plenty to get on with here!  Regards and thanks.  TullochArd 

• 11 months later...
On 17/05/2022 at 14:47, kenf48 said:

Travers cites Zeki Bey https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/ART02868

See Chapter XV111 of Gallipoli Mission

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1416967

Don't know if it is what you want but it's a start, bearing in mind that after the evacuation of Anzac and Suvla the Turks were aware Helles would probably be evacuated and appear to have adopted, according to Traver a 'live and let live 'policy with just one half hearted attack.

Just finished reading Gallipoli by Peter Hart p438 ... ref Kareves Dere the adopted "live and let live" arrangement seemed to only have existed in the French sector where there were French and Turkish flags positioned on trees near to the beach to indicate that during daytime hours so long as you stayed your side of the flag you wouldn't become a target. 

Even though the Turks were confident that Helles would be evacuated, they didn't know when. When the laid mines were blown during the last hours of the evacuation ... the Turks werent sure if this could be a British attack and so opened up with everything they had. By then the troops had left the trenches. 

Just an FYI

6 hours ago, SimonB said:

Just an FYI

Many thanks SimonB.  I'll follow up on that one.  T.A.

I think that the other thing that informed me (based on Gallipoli - Peter Hart), was the narrative that we had left nothing behind.  In contrast, the Turks when finally taking the beaches found a huge amount of equipment and lots of dead horses and mules. When you look at recent hasty retreats ... the one thing in common is the amount of equipment that is left to be used by the enemy.  It still is extraordinary that we left the peninsular without casualties.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/05/2022 at 12:46, TullochArd said:

Has anyone ever come across a Turkish account of their reaction on the ground to finding the Gallipoli Peninsula vacated?

from the diary of Izzettin Calislar – maternal grandfather of Ahmet Arda, First Secretary, Turkish Embassy, Canberra; see Extracts from the Diary of a Turkish Officer, chapter 10/page 85 of  DEFENCE FORCE JOURNAL No. 81 March/April 1990 

19 December, 1915 
We woke up early this morning. We went to Tursun to inspect the manoeuvres. Marshal also came. It lasted about 1.5 hours. Marshal left at the end. Karnensinger [must mean Kannengiesser] and Fevzi Pasa (who temporarily replaced Mustafa Kemal) criticised. In the afternoon at 2.30 enemy bombarded the right of the south lines and attacked. They suffered some heavy losses and withdrew. In the evening they spotted 5-6 transport ships and 25 military transport vessels at Imroz. 4 of them headed towards Suvla. These movements and the enemy attack in the south gave us the impression of a new attack. I slept at midnight. At 3 in the morning [20th December 1915] the duty officer woke me up and gave me the following information. Staff officer of the 9th Division reported that at Suvla and Azmak they spotted many frigates and military transport vessels, they also spotted barges and boats going and coming. This gave the impression of a new enemy discharge. Later on silence prevailed. Large fires in the enemy lines. They ordered reconnaissance attack. Then it was understood that the enemy was not discharging, on the contrary, escaping from our front. Same news came also from Ariburnu (Anzac). In our lines, first the reconnaissance team of the 21st Regiment then the reconnaissance teams of the 12th, 11th, and 23rd divisions entered the enemy trenches. Everywhere was empty. Orders to follow the enemy was given. Enemy conducted the withdrawal very secretly, nothing was leaked. Our soldiers went to the seaside but made no contact with the enemy. Same thing at Ariburnu as well. With these British who stayed for months against the defence lines established by Mustafa Kemal Bey became hopeless and desperate and escaped. Victory and God's will occurred. 

The army commander has the ambition to press the enemy and to take them prisoners. In fact it would have been better, but we would then suffer heavy losses. But the body of a single Turk is very valuable. As it had happened like this many Turkish lives saved. I hope they will also withdraw from the southern front as well. In the afternoon with Fevzi Pasa we went to see the enemy trenches at Kayaciikagili* (Hill 60). They were deep and narrow-self protected. 

21 December, 1915 
Heavy southerly winds. Rain until noon. Then rain and wind. I was busy at the HQ. The soldiers were busy collecting the enemies leftover materials. On the 16th army corps lines they collected enough foodstuff to keep an army corps for three days. 300kms of wire, 800 tents, 300 portable tents. 3000 pickaxes and millions of sand bags. I received a letter from Mustafa Kemal, he was resting. I have informed him of the enemy withdrawal. 

[NOTE: * this name is unfamiliar to me. The Turkish name for Hill 60 is usually given as 'Bombatepe'.]

Edited by michaeldr

32 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

In the afternoon with Fevzi Pasa we went to see the enemy trenches at Kayaciikagili* (Hill 60). They were deep and narrow-self protected. 

32 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

[NOTE: * this name is unfamiliar to me. The Turkish name for Hill 60 is usually given as 'Bombatepe'.]

In fact Kayacik Agili is just to the south of Bombatepe (Hill 60)

image.jpeg.da367512a60d5328b891f8a7db3b570b.jpeg

see https://canakkalemuharebeleri1915.com/genel/muharebe-alani-yer-isimleri/anafartalar/218-bomba-tepe-hill-60

Pages 273-275 of "The Gallipoli Evacuation" by Peter Hart (2020) are of interest. There are quotes from 

• General Otto Liman Von Sanders, Headquarters, Fifth Turkish Army
  • Colonel von Sodenstern, Headquarters, 14th Army
  • Major Ahmed Nuri Bey, Headquarters, 42nd Regiment, 14th Division in respect of graffiti in the French sector

The first quote is from a book authored by same.
The second and third quotes are via the following translated publication

Diriker, A (2018) "42nd Regiment, Gallipoli 1915",
Translated to English by Ebru Diriker
Toronto, Lindenbrooks Publishing

ISBN 978-1-77-532530-7

The French records are not clear, but it looked to me as though the last of the French infantry to be evacuated were the Tirailleurs Sénégalais of the 58e Régiment, based on reading their war diary. The French artillery were among the last to leave.

My paperback copy of "The Gallipoli Evacuation" by Peter Hart (2020) has the French at Kereves Dere, and their relief of these positions by the Royal Naval Division, on pages 217 to 221.

Many thanks michaeldr and K_h_b. Much appreciated.