Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli relic (i was given this maybe 30-40 years ago

arantxa

A neighbour of ours a vet went to Gallipoli and i guess he bought this and gave this to me i broke the case many years ago

D5892912-A632-4292-8727-E5DD417BF92E.jpeg

5A534E1A-8054-4710-97D4-2418992ADB7C.jpeg

41C4777C-F7EB-4B1A-A069-48111286B5DC.jpeg

701D3A69-EC92-4448-9267-CF0E47BF2389.jpeg

E5E795C8-2B0C-4B0C-B35E-0EF705E69059.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 07/11/2022 at 15:05, Combat Collector said:

Nice relics especially that Broad Arrow marked wistle!

Artillery used pea whistles. Infantry used Police whistles, or so I understand.

52 minutes ago, mike st said:

Artillery used pea whistles. Infantry used Police whistles, or so I understand.

Yes…it’s a 1905 Indian army issue, so, does anyone know if Indian artillery was used at Gallipoli???

Edit, apparently only these chaps,….https://theprinciplesofwar.com/firepower/firepower-5-forgotten-gunners-of-gallipoli-7-mountain-indian-artillery-brigade/

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

gosh that is interesting

Thanks

There's a very good account of one of these batteries (the Kohat) at Anzac, written by their CO,  Col A C Ferguson (aka Percussion Sahib). It appears in 'Tales of the Mountain Gunners' ed. C H T MacFetridge & J P Warren. It has also appeared in an issue of 'The Gallipolian'  a few years back

I will look it up.....i have at home a 1920s guide to the Gallipoli  battlefield and it says in at the back ..pack some digestive biscuits..you will find these invaluable in keeping at bay packs of wild dogs !!!! I thought what a very English thing to say 

There's a danger of drifting away from your main theme here, however, if I may I would like to add:- 
re your quote i have at home a 1920s guide to the Gallipoli  battlefield and it says in at the back ..pack some digestive biscuits..you will find these invaluable in keeping at bay packs of wild dogs !!!!  
This warning may even reappear in Major & Mrs Holt's guidebook of 2000, however today I think that there is little chance of meeting “packs of wild dogs” on any of the three battlefields of Gallipoli.

There are indeed very large dogs around and they should be respected, however in the last twenty years I do not recall seeing 'packs of wild dogs.' Most are of the large Kangal type, but usually they are not too far from a herdsman who keeps them in good order.

I do not carry biscuits on battlefield walks, however a stick is a good companion.

Caveat: The only incident I can recall which is reminiscent of the 1920s guide book warning, happened in May this year, when we were outside the Gallipoli battlefields' areas looking for the U-boat liaison camp known as Hersingstand. On the approach drive we did see a pack of dogs confront those canines charged with guarding a large herd of goats, and it got very noisy and aggressive at one point, but we were safely still in the car. The goatherd had not caught up with his charges and had he been quicker the tussle might not have occurred. But I've seen nothing similar on the battlefields themselves.

Most of the dogs (and herdsmen) are very friendly indeed. The picture below was taken at Kum Kale, on the Gallipoli Association's 'Hidden Gallipoli Tour' in May 2022

image.jpeg.4794cac42d983933f4d70d8f37d62487.jpeg

Edited by michaeldr