Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry transcription errors for family researchers

chaz

while looking for information on one of my collection, i think Ancestry should check their transcribers or have someone check their input.

Ive just looked at one census form for 1911 and the top three names of birthplaces you would not put in unless you had not checked them,

Wooden Basset should be (Royal) Wootton Bassett, Inkpin should be Inkpen and Nother Heaven should be Netheravon.

its bad enough for normal researchers but allowing for the lack of education when the forms were filled out back in the day, someone doing their own family tree would not think of these options.

There is a Report a problem link, I think we should use when ever we find a problem.

I have been looking for someone on the 1939 Register, transcribed via FindMyPast. Unable to find the person I was looking for, as Dorcas had been transcribed as Doreen. I have reported the problem.

Martin

On Ancestry you can suggest various amendments, and I usually do so if I find an error in the interests of improving things.  If accepted, the original error usually stays, but the amendment shows up in the indexing.  This obviously makes it easier for other researchers to find people on searches, and helps to avoid perpetuating errors.  So correct away - but be sure you're right!