The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

70300 Motor Cycle Cpl William Roberts Royal Engineers

Scottman

I  am  researching   Motorcycle  Cpl  William   Roberts   Royal   Engineers   ,  I  have  brief  details   on  his  service  ,  he  enlisted   on  December   26th  1914  and  landed  in  France  on  July  20th  1915  and was  Discharged   on  December  4th  1916 ,  cause  of  discharge   was  Sickness  392 ( XV1 )  any  help  in  finding  out  what  sickness  he  was  suffering   from to  be  Discharged   ,  would  be  very  much  appreciated   . Alan

1 hour ago, Scottman said:

cause  of  discharge   was  Sickness  392 ( XV1 )  any  help  in  finding  out  what  sickness  he  was  suffering   from to  be  Discharged   ,  would  be  very  much  appreciated

Unfortunately the pension card at WFA doesn't specify a disability.

Yet we can see the claim as DEAD by or on 2.10.24

No address(es) on the card.

A claim reference on the front of the card indicates Region 11 [London and SE England] but there is a note on the rear of the card which rathers suggests potentially Region 13 [Ireland] 24.6.26.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
corrected dates

Could also try a 'Home Town' search of pension cards = Where was Cpl. ROBERTS from?

Do you know where and/or when he died?

M

Edited by Matlock1418

My apologies - I had to correct the pension claim DEAD date from 1926 to 1924

A home address is potentially useful and/or enlistment and/or discharge addresss(es). 

Might be worth looking in local newspapers around his time of discharge, might perhaps have been reported there before and/or after his discharge. ???

M

Hi  Matlock1418   ,  sorry   I    just  seen  your  message  ,  Cpl  Roberts  was  born   April  15th  1894  Wood  Green  ,  Middlesex  ,  he  was  married  in  1918  at   West  Green  , Middlesex    and  he  Died    at  Newport  Isle  of  Wight  27th  July  1964  ,  thanks  for  all  your  help  ,  Alan 

24 minutes ago, Scottman said:

Cpl  Roberts  was  born   April  15th  1894  Wood  Green  ,  Middlesex  ,  he  was  married  in  1918  at   West  Green  , Middlesex    and  he  Died    at  Newport  Isle  of  Wight  27th  July  1964 

Right, that rules out a widow's pension.  So it definitely looks like he submitted a disability claim.

Looking Looked at WFA/Fold3 for those locations - no more joy I'm afraid

M

Edited by Matlock1418
No joy

Many  Thanks  Matlock1418   thank  you  again  for  all  your  help  Alan 

21 hours ago, Scottman said:

I  am  researching   Motorcycle  Cpl  William   Roberts   Royal   Engineers   ,  I  have  brief  details   on  his  service  ,  he  enlisted   on  December   26th  1914  and  landed  in  France  on  July  20th  1915  and was  Discharged   on  December  4th  1916 ,  cause  of  discharge   was  Sickness  392 ( XV1 )  any  help  in  finding  out  what  sickness  he  was  suffering   from to  be  Discharged   ,  would  be  very  much  appreciated   . Alan

Have you seen his record as held by Find My Past? Images are a little bit clearer than those on Ancestry.

Hello  Allan1892  ,  yes  I  have  but  there  is  nothing  about  his  Medical   Discharge   ,  which  I  am  having   difficulty   in  finding   out  about  his  Sickness   which   led  to  his  Discharge   ,  many  thanks  for  letting   me  know  Alan