Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finchampstead war memorial relocation

Moonraker

A most difficult and emotional issue, and no doubt the good people of Finchampstead will reach their own conclusion. Nevertheless, I propose that the essential need to preserve remembrance and commemoration should be aligned with pragmatism. If we wish generations to remember, with respect and gratitude, the sacrifices of the past, the artefacts should be preserved, honoured and accessible.

On 06 Nov 21, General Berthelot unveiled a memorial to the Devonshire Regiment near the Bois des Buttes, site of the famous battle of 27 May 18, in which so many laid down their lives. It became a place of pilgrimage for the survivors, and for many generations of Devons thereafter. The memorial was sited adjacent to Leon-Rheims road, the R.N. 44, but the road became a busy one and the memorial was being damaged by the heavy lorries that passed by. To preserve it, in 1976 The Devonshire Regiment Old Comrades' Association decided to move the memorial into the nearby hamlet of La Ville-aux-Bois-lès-Pontavert, onto a generously donated plot of land opposite the Mairie. This was achieved in 1977 and the memorial was rededicated by General Paul Gleadhill, accompanied by a contingent of troops, 30 old comrades including nine survivors of the battle and a host of supporters and local people. The memorial now occupies a splendid position in a tranquil, rural community, nearer to the site of the battle and where a major ceremony to commemorate the centenary of the battle was held in 2018, hugely supported by the generous local people. The memorial is now safe, relevant and accessible.

Whilst I have no idea if change is appropriate in the Finchampstead case, I hope that my example shows that relocation can have very positive results.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

This kind of decision is very difficult. Even if it is clear that it must be moved, it is not easy to decide where to move it to.

The war memorial in the town in which I grew up stood in the centre of the cross roads in the town square. A magnificent location. However about forty years ago it was moved to one of the middle of one of the four quadrants of the square because it had become an obstruction to traffic. It's interesting to wonder if the same decision would be made now.

One of the war memorials I am working was built at a beautiful location in one of the quadrants at a wooded cross roads quite near to the middle of the parish. I can just remember the beautiful wooded cross roads. Unfortunately the main road to Aberdeen passes through the cross roads. It mst have become increasingly difficult to hold a peaceful ceremony. Eventually the site of the memorial was required to create a dual carriageway and staggered junction. It was moved about a hundred yards along one of the minor roads and relocated back from the minor road with a little parking space.

RM

• 2 months later...

Out-of-date update

This evening's BBC TV regional news had an item about the dismantling of the memorial. Work started early in the hope of not attracting protestors - who eventually did turn up.