Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reginald Baynes Mansell

Perth Digger

Mansell served with 70 Squadron in 1916, survived and in 1919 received an OBE. He became Air Vice Marshal during WW2 and was a senior staff officer in Washington 1943-45, where he died apparently from a heart attack in January 1945. According to CWGC, however, his name is on the Ottawa Memorial, which is meant to be only for those dying in Canada, the US and the West Indies whose bodies were never found. Does anyone know why Mansell should be commemorated there? 

Sorry if this is a minor, inconsequential mystery. But I would also be interested in any information on his WW1 career after he left 70 Squadron. Airhistory is not very useful and his AIR 76 record is withheld (I think).

Thanks

Mike

25 minutes ago, Perth Digger said:

his AIR 76 record is withheld (I think).

It is possible to get military records from the MoD https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records 

Can be done online and costs £30 but the RAF searches seem fairly up to date at the moment [compared with Army applications I believe]

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thanks M. The price is a bit steep.

Mike

Thanks Graeme. I wonder if his body was lost in transit back to the UK? Weirder things have happened.

Airmen Died in the Second World War 1939-45 (published by Naval & Military Press) gives:

Notes: Cremated, Ashes Scattered Over the Atlantic

Travers

So it was lost in transit (in a way)! Thanks Travers.

Mike