Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Hatred: The Assassination of Field Marshal Sir Henry Wilson MP

Ronan McGreevy

Hi, Ronan McGreevy here. My previous book was Wherever the Firing Line Extends: Ireland and the Western Front. My new book is about the assassination of Field Marshal Sir Henry Wilson who was gunned down on his doorstep by two London-born WW1 veterans Reginald Dunne and Joe O'Sullivan. Both were wounded in the war, Dunne during the German Spring Offensive, O'Sullivan lost a leg at Ypres. The book is being published in the UK and Ireland on May 26th. If you know anybody who would be interested in reviewing it, please let me know.  Here are the details. Great Hatred: The Assassination of Field Marshal Sir Henry Wilson MP: Amazon.co.uk: McGreevy, Ronan: 9780571372805: Books 

Coverphoto.PNG

Ronan, Well done and congratulations on the publication. I really enjoyed reading “Whenever the firing line extends” and will be sure to get a copy of this one as soon as I can. 

Best of luck with the book. Wilson is a fascinating character. As John Terraine once said, he would have made a great dinner guest, I asked why. He replied "He knew where all the bodies were buried" smiled and added with a smile "he buried them "

regards

david

Ordered both books..."Whenever the firing line extends” arrived and from the first thirty or so pages seems to be a thoroughly absorbing read, very informative. Looking forward to "The Great Hatred" arriving.

I’m a great fan of your writings Ronan.  More strength to your pen say I.  I shall enjoy seeking out and reading the story behind Wilson’s demise.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'll read this with interest. Like many I've probably got a superficial knowledge of Wilson. He was supposedly known as the ugliest man in the British army, not a great intellect but very good at French and did well as a liaison officer between the two countries. Hopefully I'll learn much more by the end of the book.

Well done for tackling the subject.

• 3 weeks later...

About a third of the way through the book - excellent read.