Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Projectile identification

mattcw

Hi all my friend has asked if I can post pictures of this projectile for identification.

Found at Gommecourt german lines.

Thanks

Matt

IMG-20220505-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220505-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220505-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220505-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220505-WA0004.jpg

Well, looks to me like the bottom section of a shell fuze, the threads for screwing into the head of shell, and missing the top part, usually of brass with the time, etc., settings. Others will add more, I have no doubt!

Trajan

Edited by trajan

Steel ring adaptor for French 75 shell, the hole was for a securing grub screw

To me it looks like the fuze adaptor ring for the later type German 7.7cm shrapnel shell.

Hi  all.

This is Mattcw's friend with the projectile head. (Just joined the forum) Thanks Jay, I have a French 75 head with beehive fuze but this latest find doesn't seem to match. Also have a 77 projectile and it doesn't match that either, do you have any images of the later type, peregrinvs? Also on further research a 76mm minenwerfer has a similar head, your opinions on that would be very welcome.

24 minutes ago, Garethll said:

Hi  all.

This is Mattcw's friend with the projectile head. (Just joined the forum) Thanks Jay, I have a French 75 head with beehive fuze but this latest find doesn't seem to match. Also have a 77 projectile and it doesn't match that either, do you have any images of the later type, peregrinvs? Also on further research a 76mm minenwerfer has a similar head, your opinions on that would be very welcome.

Sorry, by head I mean fuze adapter.

Hi peregrinvs, I found an image of a later 77 with fuze adapter, you're right, it scales up to match. Thanks for that.

Here’s one I restored a few years back. The adaptor rings are not easy to find.

Yep, that's a positive id. And it matches up (with a smaller fuze thread width) against my 77projectile when held level with the top. Nice restoration.20220506_145734.jpg.6084a85a21aae952999c9af7c181a124.jpg

I know this is a time fuze for a 77 (seen a few still on projectile in a similar state) but can you give me a make or number for it?20220506_191754.jpg.7886a956556ca899df04965617ad9bcf.jpg20220506_145113.jpg.196eb66f4caa8725b9003e685d8d433d.jpg

Live and learn... having looked at a few pics it may appear I was thinking of the Belgian 1914 produced timed fuze for the Krupp 75, that said, this particular fuze had a ‘double bellied’ steel adaptor and not ‘single bellied’ as shown in the above relic. Pleased that peregrinvs has given a positive ID.

Thanks Jay, I also got sidetracked by the Krupp 75 and the British 15pdr even though it's highly unlikely either were ever in action on the Somme. As you say...live and learn.