Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Field Guns in France"

ianw

I recently picked up a copy of this book and have enjoyed it immensely.

I must admit to being a bit sketchy about how artillery operated in the Great War and this book is, I think, a brilliant description of their activities. I think the author of the letters that form it , Neil Fraser-Tytler was probably not typical. He is a fire breathing officer , 100% dedicated to the task of scientifically killing Germans in the largest numbers possible ! He was really a sniper operating with 18 pounders and small howitzers.

Artillery is much concerned with topography and F-T has a great descriptive style of the ground he operated. I look forward to walking some of the areas he describes including the lesser known area down by the Somme river . Highly Recommended and more widely available since a recent reprint, I think.

One of my old veterans pals, a Gunner officer himself, put me on to this book many years ago: as you say, it is superb. I love the tally he does at the end - typical of the fire eater you describe! I believe it has been reprinted by N&MP now?

Yes, Paul. There are plenty of stalking references and he uses his skills with a powerful telescope to very good effect. He is totally ruthless in pouring vast and overwhelming shell fire onto German positions but often risks his life to get well forward to do his own observation. He also acknowledges enemy valour e.g when men give their lives trying to save buried and wounded comrades. He is truly a terrible foe.