Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lens Hospital Site

MelPack

The burial today (5 May 2022) of Pte William Johnston of the Royal Scots Fusiliers  is one of a number of such burials of soldiers recovered from the construction site of the new Lens Hospital.

A significant number of remains were uncovered during the clearance of the top soil and ordnance from the site that started in 2018 and since last year work has started on the foundations, the depth of which will drive into the trench systems in the area.

According to an article published in a local paper, L'Avenir de l' Artois, on 22 February last, 130 sets of remains hitherto have been recovered from the site.

Does anyone with more local knowledge have further information on the recoveries including a breakdown by nationality?

• Admin

@gillesor @battle of loosare our men on the ground. 

There's a GWF member who is from that area. I forget his username. I'll tag him when I find it. Michelle found them already!

Meanwhile, Franceinfo ran an article in november 2019, which read:

On 4 January 2018, workers on the site of the future hospital in Lens (Pas-de-Calais) found bones. A picker engraved "4th Essex Regiment" made it possible to trace them back to Frederick Thomas Perkins. On this site, 56 bodies of British soldiers have already been found.

The article, with a video of Frederick's reburial attended by his granddaughter :

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/societe/guerre-de-14-18/premiere-guerre-mondiale-un-soldat-inhume-102-ans-apres-sa-mort_3694739.html

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1766637/frederick-thomas-perkins/

Edited by JWK

Good evening

following the great discovery of Commonwealth bodies, the Loos British Cemetery will be enlarged.

by the way, I participated in the ceremony (I took +/- 60 photos).
I will put them tomorrow as a result of this post.

I mentioned +/- 180 bodies, almost 50 of which are Canadian.

regards

michel

good morning,

the "Loos British Cemetery" will soon know works for its expansion.
here are the photos :

DSC_0015.JPG.b5b558911de51ec91687a6595c73ee89.JPGDSC_0016.JPG.ab453535a8e686aa003ef0da1e5cc10e.JPG

michel

Hello Michel

Many thanks for the update and the photos.

How does the extension fit into the plan of the cemetery?

cemetery-plan-62300.pdf

• Admin

I would say by plot XX looking at the markers on the ground in the photos, though they might be something as banal as Chasse Gardée markers……

Hi

here is a satellite view of the extent area of the cemetery (red rectangle) :

280191563_LoosbritishCemetery.jpg.39e0eb7a26cce25a043227fbf0c15b52.jpg

I will follow the progress of the work that I will present to you.

regards

michel

• Admin

So next to plots XX, X1X and XV111 then. 

• Admin

I hope they keep the shelter and the lovely little paved slope up to it when they enlarge. 

From what I understand these are batttlefield casualties who were left where they fell unlike the recoveries from the Lens Prison site that were found in a mass grave next to the site of a German field hospital which contained an admixture of British and German soldiers.