Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Upper arm insignia identification help please

Andrew70

Going back to the  Bedfordshire Regiment.

The Eastern Division, X Corps, BAOR was formed in March 1919 from the 34 Division. In its 102 Brigade there were three Bedford battalions.

39 minutes ago, KENDO said:

Going back to the  Bedfordshire Regiment.

The Eastern Division, X Corps, BAOR was formed in March 1919 from the 34 Division. In its 102 Brigade there were three Bedford battalions.

Yes we need to keep BAOR in mind, the 34 Division sign was retained by Eastern Division, not least as all vehicles and divisional stores, etc. were inherited and retained with their original markings.  It’s interesting to see the Bedfordshire’s involvement, but when squinting at the buttons in the OP photo I’m really favouring the Herefordshire Regiment at the moment as a circlet with small device inside seems apparent and matches the button design that I posted rather well, even down to proportions.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you everyone for continuing to show an interest in the picture.

It was posted on a village Facebook page as part of a discussion on the Cleaver family.  I'll certainly ask if the original is available in uncolorised form and see if they're prepared to allow me to make a higher resolution scan of it if it is.  I must admit that when I saw on wikipedia that 3 battalions of the Norfolk regiment formed part of the engineers of the 34th I assumed that was where he had probably come from as Bedfordshire often counts as East Anglia for this kind of thing.

3 hours ago, Andrew70 said:

I must admit that when I saw on wikipedia that 3 battalions of the Norfolk regiment formed part of the engineers of the 34th

3 Company's, and while they had Norfolk in the title, they were nothing to do with the Norfolk Regiment - I sincerely hope Wikipedia doesn't have that information :)

Cheers,
Peter

• 6 months later...

The 51st 52nd and 53rd Battalions Bedfordshire Regiment served in the 34th Division as part of the Army of Occupation in 1919. They did usually have battalion patches as well. But not always.

49390767_2271131189821751_4773359058579095552_n.jpg.f02ad876e3bc0e777d914d5d8b018d0f.jpg

Edited by Raster Scanning

6 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

The 51st 52nd and 53rd Battalions Bedfordshire Regiment served in the 34th Division as part of the Army of Occupation in 1919. They did usually have battalion patches as well. But not always.

49390767_2271131189821751_4773359058579095552_n.jpg.f02ad876e3bc0e777d914d5d8b018d0f.jpg

It’s the buttons on the original posters photo tgar that don’t match Raster.  If you scrutinise the photo you will see thar the buttons have a distinctive raised circlet that doesn’t show in your photo.

Hi, agreed!

Yes for sure different, I was really just posting that the Bedford's did serve in the 34th division as some posts indicated otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

Hi, agreed!

Yes for sure different, I was really just posting that the Bedford's did serve in the 34th division as some posts indicated otherwise. 

Yes I understand but didn’t want to sow confusion for the original posters inquiry.