Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 Nat. Lab. Gen. H. Dieppe

David26

Casualty List HA.32486 on page 48 of the 'Casualty Lists' thread has 5 men who were treated at the above hospital: 

image.png.51c6f3928f905b830925ccb135c870c6.png

Looking at this, I initially assumed that the abbreviation might refer to a No.1 National Labour General Hospital in Dieppe, but no such hospital is listed on the British Base Hospitals page on the LLT and no other mention appears to have been made on the forum.  

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

David.

Not my area so I may be wrong, but I notice that below these entries, Dvr August was at '2 Nat. Lab. Gen. H. Pont de Briques'. I think this refers to No.2 South African Native Labour Corps General Hospital, Pont des Briques. If so, your abbreviation may mean 'Number 1 Native Labour General Labour Hospital Dieppe'. 

Acknown

Acknown, Russ,

Thank you. That's really interesting.  I hadn't heard of these hospitals at all so will enjoy finding out more about them. 

David.  

Thanks Acknown.  

Looking at the War Diary of No.1 Native Labour General Hospital, it appears that it was there to provide medical facilities for the SANLC but that as that requirement dwindled - as more and more SANLC men were repatriated - they looked for a new role.  After a brief period taking on malarial and influenza patients in summer/autumn 1918 they opened up to 'Europeans' though as far as I can tell the work they thought necessary for the Royal Engineers to do to divide the hospital into two sections (to separate Europeans from the SANLC) never took place.  The five men I was looking at were all RFA men with a range of illnesses who were admitted to the hospital on 29 November 1918.  

Thanks again to you and Russ for the very helpful pointers.

David.