Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

service record help

james drury

Hi all 

Just wondered if anyone could shed light on highlighted bit below - 

To dep ... ..... ...... third army 

I think its also written on the top left ... 

B122 to Deputy Provost mar... (tial)?

many thanks :-)

GBM_WO363-4_007407201_01003 copy 2.jpg

1 hour ago, james drury said:

no idea about that sadly  

As Dai said, it reads “sent to Deputy Provost Marshal”.  These were staff officers at formation headquarters level responsible for administering discipline, including trials and capital punishment.  

There were four levels of provost staff officer.  At BEF level was the Provost Marshal (Brigadier General) who was assisted by a Deputy Provost Marshal (Major, but could be Lieutenant Colonel) with each Army - 1st to 5th.  There was a 6-man detachment of Military Policemen at each Corps headquarters as part of ‘Corps Troops’ and in each infantry or cavalry Division there was an Assistant Provost Marshal (Captain, but could be Major) with around 25 Military Policemen.  At the lowest level were Deputy Assistant Provost Marshals (Lieutenant, but could be Captain) who were appointed to assist the two levels above them as necessary (it varied).   
Brassards,/Armlets/Armbands were: 

1.  PM.

2. DPM.

3. APM.

4. DAPM.

68265802-5FD3-4334-93C2-59F0FE201F6B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The entry above for 14/10/18 might say Arrived? Abbeville. Three weeks later he's sent to the Dep. PM 3rd Army. Both entries come from the Commandant Abbeville who's not exactly small fry who deals with miscreants.

Might he have taken up a position with the DM PM 3rd Army?

Two months later he returns to be struck of strength BEF and is off on leave.

TEW

Didn't notice the B122 ref previously. That might swing things either way. It could mean his conduct sheet ran to multiple pages of misdemeanors or that they wanted to see he had a clean sheet.

TEW

• Admin
11 hours ago, TEW said:

Didn't notice the B122 ref previously. That might swing things either way. It could mean his conduct sheet ran to multiple pages of misdemeanors or that they wanted to see he had a clean sheet.

TEW

Indeed it could - I find a name is always helpful.  

I imagine it was an attachment as he was medically classified B1 on 31st March 1918 i.e.

B Free from serious organic diseases, able to stand service on lines of communication in France, or in garrisons in the tropics.

Bl Able to march 5 miles, see to shoot with glasses, and hear well

I doubt the Deputy Provost Marshal Third Army was personally involved.  Third echelon troops he could have been on garrison or clerical duties.