Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Pershing's Headquarters

aligirl5867

Based on the records I have found on Ancestry, my great-grandfather was in World War 1 from September 1918-June 1919 and served at General Pershing’s Headquarters. I’ve read a lot about General Pershing himself, but I am unclear about this actual position. Was is a combat position or administrative in the headquarters? 

Any information or leads are much appreciated. 

11. John J. Kane, Jr. Record of Burial Place of Veteran.jpg

13. Pennsylvania, WWI Veterans Service and Compensation Files, 1917-1919, 1934-1948.jpg

It doesn’t say what his personal duties were, but he appears to have worked in the headquarters first and then an Army Service Corps Company from October 1918 onward, so he seems to have been engaged in logistics (Supply) of some kind.  See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Services_of_Supply,_American_Expeditionary_Forces

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank, Frogsmile! I couldn't make sense of the shorthand on these documents, so this is great. He worked as a manager of a gas company before and after the war, so logistics makes sense!

41 minutes ago, aligirl5867 said:

Thank, Frogsmile! I couldn't make sense of the shorthand on these documents, so this is great. He worked as a manager of a gas company before and after the war, so logistics makes sense!

He might well have been involved in the supply of gasoline (petrol) then.