Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does a Member possess an Image of 'Beautiful Braddles', please?

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

I was frankly flabbergasted that a recent auction realised 600,000 Pounds for a VC and four un-named WWII medals.

This, compared with the relatively modest 2,000 Pounds with which a lucky collector secured the OBE group to a Pilot who was a Man of Many Talents, mirrored in his magnificent and varied medal group!

His miniature group went to yet another fortunate collector.

Moreover, the recipient of the OBE group of seven, Charles Raymond Strathearn (Braddles) Bradley, was nick-named 'Beautiful Braddles', due to his good looks (!).

But what did G/Capt C. R. S. Bradley, CBE, OBE, RAF, really look like? Does a clever GWF Member have his Image(please)562595382_G-CC.R.S.BeautifulBraddlesBradley2000PoundsSpinl2022.jpg.e0eafbd4ae71711062e5944d38d82d2d.jpg?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I was flabbergasted to see that "extra fees" (auctioneers' commission?) added £132,000 to a successful bid of £550,000 for a WWII VC which, perhaps, is the one to which you refer.

• Admin

No image yet Kim sorry

Am I correct in thinking this man rose through the ranks before being commissioned, serving in th IA and going on to be the Air Attache in Rome in 1930? If so there does appear to be quite a bit of newspaper coverage of him.

Dear David,

Yes, that is the brilliant man: Group Captain C. R. S. Bradley, CBE, RAF.

The naming on his medals says it all: OBE (Mil) (1st type) (Lond. Gaz. 3 Jun 1919); QSA clasps CAPE COLONY, SOUTH AFRICA 1901, SOUTH AFRICA 1902 (3655 PTE. C. R. S. BRADLEY, CAPE M. R.); 1914 Star (clasp) (CAPT., 4/CAVALRY); BWM (LT.-COL., R.F.C.); Victory (LT.-COL., R.F.C.) (MiD oakleaf); GSM clasp KURDISTAN (W/C., R.A.F.); Durbar 1911.

Kinsest regards,

Kim.

Hello,

I love a challenge...

And there is a photo of the then Wing-Commander. C. R. S. Bradley in The Tatler magazine on 7th March 1923.  To add to the man's talents and reputation, it is a photo of the RAF Polo Team that won the Bonham-Carter Cup in Baghdad. 

He is pictured in his polo kit on horseback with the other team members: 

Wing-Commander G. St. P. D. Dombasle,

Air Vice-Marshal Sir John Salmond, and

Group-Captain, the Hon. J. D. Boyle [brother of the Earl of Glasgow]

I found it on the British Newspaper Archive and the link is here:  https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0001852/19230307/042/0042

Not sure what the protocol is for sharing the photo publicly.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Dear Brian,

Brilliant work. Well done!

Unfortunately I am unable to access your super find.

Could you perhaps PM me with the Image, please? My curiosity knows no bounds.

Bradley was obviously one of those types who are Good At Everything!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hello,

He seems like a remarkable man, and it seems only fitting that the photo shows him as a member of a polo team.

Best wishes

Brian

• 1 year later...