Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Oliver Stewart, MC, AFC

dutchbarge

I'm having difficulty researching Major Oliver Stewart, MC, AFC.  He comes up on Google (quite a few good articles/fotos) and RFC People but AIR 76 has never heard of him.  Neither have I been able to track him down on online LG.   He was commissioned into the Middlesex Regiment in 1914 and was seconded to the RFC in 1915.  It has occurred to me that if he returned to the Middlesex his records would be kept at KEW but they have never heard of him either.   I would be most grateful if someone could put me on the correct path.  Cheers, Bill

30 minutes ago, dutchbarge said:

I'm having difficulty researching Major Oliver Stewart, MC, AFC.  He comes up on Google (quite a few good articles/fotos) and RFC People but AIR 76 has never heard of him.  Neither have I been able to track him down on online LG.   He was commissioned into the Middlesex Regiment in 1914 and was seconded to the RFC in 1915.  It has occurred to me that if he returned to the Middlesex his records would be kept at KEW but they have never heard of him either.   I would be most grateful if someone could put me on the correct path.  Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill. this is Oliver's Medal Index Card showing service in the Middlesex regiment and RAF

28C502EB-D015-4B51-B271-9D1BE4786671.jpeg

134BB935-79BD-4666-B055-16C4D07494E7.jpeg

Hi Bill,

Have you checked his casualty forms :-  Casualty Forms - Form (2 pages)

If Major Stewart served after 1920 then his Air76 records will not be available.

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

The NAM history omits mention of his contribution to the classic 'The Clouds Remember', a book that anyone interested in WWI aviation should own. I'm fortunate to have an original Gale & Polden copy with the flyleaf signed by Stewart. 

The Clouds Remember.jpg

Words and Music for a Mechanical Man By Oliver Stewart. Published by Faber. 1967. Also  Aviation : The Creative Years. Believed also published by Faber  

11 hours ago, hmsk212 said:

Hi Bill,

Have you checked his casualty forms :-  Casualty Forms - Form (2 pages)

If Major Stewart served after 1920 then his Air76 records will not be available.

Steve

Thank you, Steve, this is a real treasure trove of information......and unlike AIR76 I can actually read it clearly.  This is more than I could have hoped for!  Cheers, Bill

18 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hi Bill. this is Oliver's Medal Index Card showing service in the Middlesex regiment and RAF

Thank you for the Medal Index cards.......I could never have found these myself........great additon to my research.  Cheers, Bill

10 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

Deed and date from NA.

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks, Graeme, as always I wonder how you find such information and so quickly!  This really helps me build a complete picture of this most interesting fellow.  Cheers, Bill

9 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Thank you so much.....I have never had much luck with the online LG and would only, if ever, found this after hours of hit and miss......my 70 year old eyes thank you also.  Cheers, Bill

9 hours ago, busterfield said:

Thank you for this most excellent article.  Cheers, Bill

Thanks to Mick and Alex for the information about Stewart's autobiography.....after seeing both of your posts I found a copy online and eagerly await its delivery.  (No, Alex, unfortunately it is not a signed copy like yours).  Cheers, Bill

11 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Image1.jpg

Hello Graeme, I just noticed the rather long period between which Stewart's MC was "Gazetted" and when he was "Decorated".  This brings up something I have often wondered about, namely, did one receive the physical medal in tandem with it being approved by superior command, when it was gazetted or when one was  formally decorated (in this case over 2 years after it was gazetted).  I assume "Decorated" refers to some sort of an awards parade presided over by an appropriate dignitary?  Cheers, Bill

From the London Gazette of 23 October 1914, commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 9th Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment from the 28th Battalion of the London Regiment (Artists Rifles) on 27 October 1914:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28952/supplement/8620

Promotion from 2nd Lieutenant to Lieutenant (temporary) on 28 November 1914:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29009/supplement/10799

Seconded for duty with a Provisional Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment on 16 June 1915:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29281/supplement/8711

Military Cross citation on 14 September 1917:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30287/supplement/9584 

The digitised Air Force lists available from the National Library of Scotland are also a useful starting point, e.g. if looking to trace people who'd served with him at various stages in the 1920s.

In autumn 1921 he's with No. 47 Squadron in Egypt:

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/121630185 and

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/121628121

(Future AVM William Munro Yool is there, as are a few decorated wartime pilots).

1 hour ago, Tawhiri said:

Thank you so much for this......it is a certainty I could never have found these......what a splendid addition to the profile of an extraordinary flyer.  Cheers, Bill 

I feel impelled to state what a splendid group of fellows are the Forum members......very knowledgeable and ready to help at a moment's notice......and most appreciated by myself......thank you all.  Cheers, Bill 

A few more mentions from the Gazette.

Granted a permanent commission in the RAF with the rank of Captain on 1 August 1919:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31517/page/10655

And accordingly relinquishes his commission in the Territorial Forces on the same day:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31661/supplement/14666

He then resigns his commission as a Flight Lieutenant on 22 December 1921 and is permitted to retain the rank of Major:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32561/page/10656

Serving to the end of 1921 explains why he can't be found in AIR 76, his service records will presumably still be retained by the MOD.

Edited by Tawhiri

Thank you Tawhiri and Airshipped for the information....my cup runneth over!  Cheers, Bill

Thank you, Behindthewing.......I was lucky enough to have found a gently used hardback copy of Above the Trenches almost 15 years ago....accompanied by a likewise pristine copy of Under the Guns of the Red Baron.......I regularly re-read them if I want to escape the modern world and dwell for a bit in the company of heroes......I am always surprised at how many Americans (Canadians and Yanks) are amongst their ranks.  Cheers, Bill

Edited by dutchbarge

12 hours ago, dutchbarge said:

Thank you, Behindthewing.......I was lucky enough to have found a gently used hardback copy of Above the Trenches almost 15 years ago....accompanied by a likewise pristine copy of Under the Guns of the Red Baron.......I regularly re-read them if I want to escape the modern world and dwell for a bit in the company of heroes......I am always surprised at how many Americans (Canadians and Yanks) are amongst their ranks.  Cheers, Bill

Thanks Bill. I too re-read time and again. Yes so many Americans and Commonwealth pilots and crew  I get quite a buzz of trying to find out what became of those that survived the war. Feel so humble at the thought what these blokes did as young men. Cheers John

3 hours ago, Behindthewing said:

Thanks Bill. I too re-read time and again. Yes so many Americans and Commonwealth pilots and crew  I get quite a buzz of trying to find out what became of those that survived the war. Feel so humble at the thought what these blokes did as young men. Cheers John

Hello John, Type Brumell in to the GWF's search window and read the thread I started on Lt. John Peareth Brumell.....you can see that I too am interested in how these chaps ended up postwar.   Cheers, Bill

39 minutes ago, dutchbarge said:

Hello John, Type Brumell in to the GWF's search window and read the thread I started on Lt. John Peareth Brumell.....you can see that I too am interested in how these chaps ended up postwar.   Cheers, Bill

Will do Bill thanks John

On 27/04/2022 at 18:31, dutchbarge said:

Little about his records, but a great deal about the man, in Portrait of an Airman, his autobiographical novel of 1931, published under the pseudonym of Philip Arnall.

https://greatwarfiction.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/portrait-of-an-airman-byphilip-arnall/