Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Find

Flavio

Hello everyone, new discovery of the English artillery area, can you tell me what it was used for and what it was eventually combined with? Thank's

16510528816589028719216857135754.jpg

16510529264317593431866400208733.jpg

Thank you very much for the very fast reply ... The shape is digitally the same, for what I found it is very thick and made of iron

Clearly not what I initially thought it was, I’m now thinking it may be part of some agricultural machinery 

Well, I doubt that the place of discovery together with many spool lids 106 and related containers of the same is a place of agricultural machinery, I would say almost impossible we are in the middle of woods and not of sowing fields ... Among other things, the engraved rhombus in one of the branches of the object reminds me a lot of something seen in an English artillery manual ... Let's see if anyone else can tell us something ... The conversation gets interesting

Screenshot_2022-04-28-08-55-37-975_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Then I take two more photos, one for the profile of the piece and one for the threaded bolt which in the head has a perpendicular through hexagonal hole.

Looks like the tensioning clamp to hold the access cover of a boiler in place. A heavy cast steel plate is inserted through the access hole and then this is fitted over the outside of the hole and screwed into the cover plate to retain the cover plate in the correct position. Once under pressure as the cover plate is larger than the access hole it all seals nicely.

Common to both military and non-military boilers used with traction engines and stationary steam power boilers.

That’s a good call. I can’t find a triform example online but the following images give you the idea. Given the location of the find perhaps for use on a smaller boiler that may have powered a lumber saw or similar piece of machinery.

36272FCE-F4B8-420D-B570-3DAD9344A39C.jpeg.c061547874e8e79f095c0522cbccc7a2.jpeg39CD5A24-9628-423D-B019-A8E34B6D1580.jpeg.324c0f5ccb5941e65b329efe47953c20.jpeg

Similar items used on large air compressor receiver inspection hole covers, often referred to as mud lids or hand hole covers.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I tried to send the photos of this piece to the secretariat of the Salisbury artillery museum and I got this answer ... What do you think? Here  the answer 

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry and may I apologise for the delay in reply. The piece of metal you have found is interesting and may well be artillery associated. However, I am unfamiliar with the region and a quick internet search reveals to me an Obice da 280 which was coast defence and siege howitzer designed in 1884 and manufactured by William Armstrong of the Elswick Ordnance Company, Newcastle. If this artillery was associated with this area and since this piece was not accepted into British military service we will not have a copy of the handbook which is where I would expect to find a clue as to the nature of your find. It is quite likely, sadly, that no handbooks have survived. I can help a little more with the fuze number 106 you mention which was the first British instantaneous percussion deployed in 1917. Please let me know if I am correct or incorrect regarding my thoughts about the gun.

I hope this helps.

Yours faithfully,

• 2 months later...

I was on vacation In August on the Asiago plateau. Fatality talking to some people who are passionate about ww1, and showing them this piece, one of them confirmed to me that he had found another like it (later seen in person) in another area of Asiago other than mine.

Someone said, but I have not found a reply, This is a piece for closing the cooking case ... Well, I see it too massive for such a use ... What do you think?

Ps, it is clearly understood that this second piece also comes from the English artillery area and it should be noted that the number and symbols present correspond exactly to those present in the piece I found

@Gunner 87

Edited by Flavio

• 1 year later...

Here too I'll put an UP, maybe someone in the meantime had an intuition to understand what this very particular kind of three-pointed star was

Consider that other acquaintances have found it only and exclusively in the English artillery area... Among other things, I think I found about thirty in total