The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

POW camp at Griessen 1914/18

Guest Writered

Guest Writered

This information is important because of the a book I am writing. I would also like to know the names of other POW camps for Allied troops in Germany 1914/18

Hi

I suggest you obtain a copy of Mrs Pope-Hennessy's book: Map of the main prison camps in Germany and Austria which is available from the Imperial War Museum. It contains desciptions of all prison camps in Germany and Austria in WW1.

Robbie

Could it be Giessen (Giesen) in Hesse?

All the best,

Tim

Giessen is indeed in Hessen.

Try to find this excellent book: "In Enemy Hands. A British Territorial Soldier in Germany 1915-1919" by Malcolm Hall.

His father was a POW in that camp.

ISBN 0 7254 2620 6

Try to find this excellent book: "In Enemy Hands. A British Territorial Soldier in Germany 1915-1919" by Malcolm Hall.

ISBN 0 7254 2620 6

Anyone know of a review of this book - I tried a net search - in vain! :(

Thanks

I know of one in Soltau (not sure of spelling). It was very close to the WW2 Death Camp of Belsen. I was stationed there in the late 90`s.

Soltau, was a little village a few miles away. From what I can remember there was nothing to see of the WW1 POW camp, however, if I recall it was mentioned in a CH4 programme, about WW1 POW`s, I`ve got a booklet from the programme somewhere I`ll try and dig it out.

Sorry have had move around with my fork lift truck, and can be b@@ger@@, if I can find the booklet I mentioned. I do remember that the programme and the book were called prisoners of the kaiser and must have been on TV, in about 2000/2001. Sorry I can`t be of more help.

post-6008-1111949388.jpg

Is the book 'Prisoners of the Kaiser' By Richard Van Emden, which was based on the Channel 4 Documentary. I have it and its published in 2000 by LEO COOPER at Pen and Sword Books ,ISBN 0 85052 734 1

Never saw the programme, sadly, but bought the book in the hope I may find something out about my own Grandfathers experience, a POW in Austria, camp unknown.

• 1 month later...
This information is important because of the a book I am writing. I would also like to know the names of other POW camps for Allied troops in Germany 1914/18

hello,you can get the map from tom morgan whos on this forum,bernard

Writered

The letter from my great grandfather which I posted yesterday contains a description of conditions at Giessen. I also have a postcard of which he sent home - I'll post if you wish.

Regards

Simon

Simon

My grandfather was at Giessen, so I would be very interested to see the postcard posted.

Simon

I'll dig it out and scan it.

Regards

Simon

• 1 month later...
Guest stigger

My father was in Geissen camp after being taken prisoner in 1915. From what little information I have although keeping some prisoners there for a while it was also a processing camp and from there prisoners were sent on to other camps.

In the case of my father he was there initially and was then sent to Celle which I believe was quite a hard POW camp. After about 15 months there he was moved to Hameln until being repatriated at the end of October 1918.

I received the information on what camps he had been in from the Red Cross in Geneva.

ISBN 0 7254 2620 6

The book is still available from the publisher:

http://www.tempus-publishing.com/bookdetai...isbn=0752426206

There are some pictures of Giessen camp in it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Simon Bull
I got some pictures of the POW camp GIESSEN (Hesse). If you are interested, I shall place it here for you.

Malte

Malte

I for one would be very interested.

Thanks

Simon Bull

PS May be some time before I am on Forum again, so no hurry to post, and forgive me if I am slow to thank you.