Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers

Mark Abbott

Does anyone have details of what this Battalion were doing on the above dates? I understand that a trench raid may have taken place and would welcome details.

I have a MM awarded to A/Sgt J Grimshaw 2/5th Lanc Fus and a note that came with the medal states "Trench raid Givenchy". Unfortunately the 55th Division history does not mention the action.

Sgt Grimshaw came from Oswaldtwistle; was there a local paper published at the time?

Many thanks.

Mark

21/10/18 is his gazette date, not the date of the action. The action would have been 9 weeks plus before that. If I come across his name, I`ll let you know. Phil B

Found it! Support trenches, Givenchy. Just before midnight, 19 June, a force of 100 men advanced on an area which proved to contain 5 or 7 machine guns.All the MGs were put out of action. Casualties were 1 man killed, 2 officers and 37 ORs wounded and 17 men missing believed killed. 1 MC, 1 DCM & 4 MMs, one to Sgt J Grimshaw. :) Phil B

PS Accrington Observer should cover it, around the gazette date.

I am currently carrying out research on 2/5th LF in preparation for a possible book. I would be very interested in any information you unearth on Grimshaw and his MM. A lot of the records of the 5th Battalion LF (Bury Territorials) were lost in a fire in 1942.

Hi Mark,

Have spoken to you before a couple of times about the regiment. My grandfather served with the 9th Battalion but seems to have joined the 1/5th in February 1918 when the 9th disbanded. All I have from his time with them is a postcard from October 1918 when he was in Charing Cross Hospital. I believe he was shot through the chest sometime in September. Anything I can help with let me know.

Rgds

Tim

post-1563-1111805708.jpg