Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Phoenix Assurance Company Limited war service list 1914-1919

8055Bell

IWM have this book and I'm hoping a Forum member may have access to a copy please.

I'm researching '8789' Charles Parker of 17th Bn Manchester Regiment and think this may be the man identified as employed by Phoenix.  He later served in 18th Bn prior to his commission with Regiment.

I'm hoping to see if the Roll mentions the unit men served with.  Charles survived and died in 1961.

I need to take a trip to TNA too...

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

Edited by 8055Bell

On 24/04/2022 at 18:06, 8055Bell said:

Charles Parker of 17th Bn Manchester Regiment

In the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour he is listed as being in "A" company, Platoon No. 1 of the 17th Battalion so he will be in the associated photograph.  I can't find any reference to Phoenix in the book.

• 1 year later...

Hi Tim. I'm currently researching a bronze plaque that relates to Phoenix staff members in WWI. The plaque I have, which is dated 1932, seems to commemorate the unveiling of the original plaques in 1921 (65 Phoenix staff members out of the 504 who signed up lost their lives) along with the columns of marble used in the construction of the Phoenix offices in King William Street, London, EC4. I'm struggling to find information, were you able to find out any more with your enquiry? Ideally, I'd like to eventually get the plaque back to where it belongs, so any information you might have would be most welcome. Many thanks. 

1.jpg

Just now, 8055Bell said:

Hi Steve,

I think a visit to IWM to take a look at the book would be a good step for you.

Tim

Will do, thanks Tim.