Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

57 Trench Mortar Brigade 57 Brigade

David Norman

A friend passed me a letter on Friday, written by a quarter master serjeant of the 57th Trench Mortar Battery, of the 57th Brigade. The letter is signed and I've tried looking through national archives for variants of the name to no avail. This gentleman had found a photo and a letter on the battlefield in September 1917, where my friends relative had been wounded as part of 58 brigade, 19th division. This gentleman took the time to forward the photo and letter to the address, writing the circumstances that he had found it. We are trying to find who this quarter master serjeant could have been. Any help gratefully received. Thank you

20220424_091005.jpg

20220424_091009.jpg

20220424_091020.jpg

David - Welcome to the Forum and thank you for an interesting and touching tale. So that you know you are not alone, I have put every version of P_rton S and P_nton S in the RFA through the Medal Index Card (MIC) records, but have had no success! Let's hope others do better.

Acknown

3 minutes ago, Acknown said:

So that you know you are not alone, I have put every version of P_rton S and P_nton S in the RFA through the Medal Index Card (MIC) records, but have had no success! Let's hope others do better.

Likewise, just resumed and finished the same search (after a break for lunch) and like Acknown, I have failed to find anything.

He is not RFA but Infantry. 57th Brigade in 19th Division consisted of:

10th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt.
8th Bn. Gloucestershire Regt.    
10th Bn. Worcestershire Regt.
8th Bn. North Staffordshire Regt.

So I would suggest it is 14322 Sgt. Samuel Parton of 8th Bn. North Staffordshire Regt.

Parton.jpg.748bbd0cec838e1d1ba5011ed5e24694.jpg

Image courtesy of Ancestry

1 hour ago, David Porter said:

He is not RFA but Infantry.

Classic error (I have reviewed LLT). Sorry for the false trail.

Acknown

Thank you everyone for your help.

Will pass onto my friend, who is the grandson of William Frith, of the 9th Welch, to whom Sgt Parton wrote to.

Very much appreciated