Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying locations near ANZAC Cove

tankengine888

Hello! 
Doing a little project, but ran into a bit of a snag.
3808848.JPG
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RC04275
I cannot figure out which places are which! I assume lone pine is in the middle, but I need help [probably with photos and maps since i'm hopeless] with figuring out which is Lone Pine and Shell Green. 
Cheers again!

Just now, emrezmen said:

And a map:

image.jpeg.62efe12067017462dda5d1195e2889c0.jpeg

I have nothing to say. I cannot thank you enough! Shame I don't have my computer right now, ANZAC Day Dawn Service soon. Cheers though!

I hope you don't mind, but where would wire Gully be? Probably up past Plugge and up Sharpnel valley, but would be nice if you specified

Thank you. You can find Wire Gully on the maps, immediately above the Johnston's Jolly.

Edited by emrezmen

4 minutes ago, emrezmen said:

Thank you. You can find Wire Gully on the maps, immediately above the Johnston's Jolly.

Ah I see, cheers! 

Another question (last I hope)

Are there any good places where I can understand the terrain? Or would I have to go with photographs? Maps are nice, so are photographs, just trying to find easier ways to find ridges and that,

Cheers though!

Google Earth where you can overlay maps and aerial photos may well be a good option.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, emrezmen said:

Google Earth where you can overlay maps and aerial photos may well be a good option.

Cheers

Good idea

(Oh no, more questions)

Do you know anything about 2nd Battalion of the AIF? 

Maybe something about the 9th Light Horse Regiment (October-December 1915 particularly)?

Had relatives in each, 2nd Battalion bloke was James Stephen/Steven McNamara 661( F Coy) went missing August 7-14th 1915. The other was Light Horseman, James Olson 562 of 'C' Squadron, 11th Light Horse Regiment.

If not, oh well, I'll look in the morning. This post has triggered many questions.

Falling asleep now*

Edited by tankengine888

4 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Do you know anything about 2nd Battalion of the AIF? 

Maybe something about the 9th Light Horse Regiment (October-December 1915 particularly)?

Well I am an outsider but their war diaries are available on AWM website: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1338583

Hi @tankengine888, I'm experimenting with 3D maps using what is called Digital Elevation Model data.  These allow you to 'fly' up the valleys and along the ridges which is a great way of understanding the ANZAC advance.  I once knew a platoon commander in the 10th Battalion who got as far as the Third Ridge and I want to 'virtually follow' the route he took, if possible.

Here is a still from (roughly) the same area as your photo.  Click to enlarge.  The live system lets you use the mouse to follow a path or use the CTRL-Mouse combination to change elevation, pitch and rotate around a 3D axis.  The mapping work is on hold for two months but I can send you the link if you want to try it out.  It's quite eye-opening - a flat map is drawn then nothing happens for 20 or 30 seconds as it downloads a massive amount of terrain data, then suddenly the flat horizon pops the hills up in front of you.

I go to the Queanbeyan Dawn Service - I stopped going to the War Memorial a few years back once the crowds got to 20,000.

image.png.2d1ff0eaf9b444814817c910346fe15a.png

On 25/04/2022 at 02:43, emrezmen said:

@emrezmen, that was a very impressive identification!  I couldn't relate the aerial photo myself.

The Western Front Association has georeferenced around 65 Gallipoli maps including 2 you posted, together with Street View integration.  Everyone is free to use the site but members have access to a higher zoom level.  An opacity slider cuts away from the trench map to the modern ground.  In the vicinity of this New Zealand map (click to enlarge) there are a total of 12 trench maps of the ANZAC, including the Sevki Pasa set.

image.png.71c268329e60c334c6121b10418586ea.png

image.png.08dfedf373839df0b6e4f44588d335cc.png

34 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Hi @tankengine888, I'm experimenting with 3D maps using what is called Digital Elevation Model data.  These allow you to 'fly' up the valleys and along the ridges which is a great way of understanding the ANZAC advance.  I once knew a platoon commander in the 10th Battalion who got as far as the Third Ridge and I want to 'virtually follow' the route he took, if possible.

Here is a still from (roughly) the same area as your photo.  Click to enlarge.  The live system lets you use the mouse to follow a path or use the CTRL-Mouse combination to change elevation, pitch and rotate around a 3D axis.  The mapping work is on hold for two months but I can send you the link if you want to try it out.  It's quite eye-opening - a flat map is drawn then nothing happens for 20 or 30 seconds as it downloads a massive amount of terrain data, then suddenly the flat horizon pops the hills up in front of you.

I go to the Queanbeyan Dawn Service - I stopped going to the War Memorial a few years back once the crowds got to 20,000.

image.png.2d1ff0eaf9b444814817c910346fe15a.png

Cheers for this!
A platoon commander in the 10th eh? 1st cousin 4 removed was a 1st reinforcement for the 10th, C Company. Only April 25th-May 17th before wounded and remained in England until the campaign was over.
God, I wish I was old enough to meet the men who served there, my 14th birthday is in a few days which is an example of how far off I am to the last ww1 vets. My home town in Victoria had aa whole lot of people, it was amazing! 
Anyhow, cheers!

Since you cannot read cursive writing, something I find astounding with the teaching of the English language in today’s schools, and you wish to find information on the 9th LHR, I suggest you go to the Australian Light Horse Studies Centre web site. There you will find that the 9th War diary has been transcribed, plus a great deal of information about the Regiment. May as well make the most of what others have already done in the way of advanced research.

Jeff

43 minutes ago, Jeff Pickerd said:

Since you cannot read cursive writing, something I find astounding with the teaching of the English language in today’s schools, and you wish to find information on the 9th LHR, I suggest you go to the Australian Light Horse Studies Centre web site. There you will find that the 9th War diary has been transcribed, plus a great deal of information about the Regiment. May as well make the most of what others have already done in the way of advanced research.

Jeff

Personally, as a year 9 currently, I think we should be learning cursive over another language [italian in my schools case]
Ah cheers mate, the Australian LH website, I'll have to check other war diaries
[he served in order, 
11th Light Horse [C Squadron]
Assigned 'D' Squadron 9th Light Horse
Back to the 11th in Cairo post gallipoli
1st Camel Regiment [that only marched on paper]
4th Light Horse Brigade Machine Gun Squadron [March 1917-1919]

I would suggest that if you should wish to master the ability to read, and write, cursive writing, get yourself a good book on calligraphy. Such will show you how the letters are formed, and how they are joined in cursive. Should also give you advice on how to do very nice script.

The ALHS site will also have information on the other Regiments you seek to find.

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeff Pickerd said:

I would suggest that if you should wish to master the ability to read, and write, cursive writing, get yourself a good book on calligraphy. Such will show you how the letters are formed, and how they are joined in cursive. Should also give you advice on how to do very nice script.

The ALHS site will also have information on the other Regiments you seek to find.

Jeff

Smart idea, but I'd be on my "rear end" for a day before i'd start it