Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Michael Topham R.F.C.

MikeyH

My son's partner Beth won this nice silver inkwell at a local auction.  They have researched the winner of the '1st Warner' at Tonbridge School in 1914. Michael Topham enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers 19th Batallion (2nd Public Schools) on the outbreak of war. and gained a reputation as an excellent sniper.  He had been accepted into the Rifle Brigade before volunteering for the R.F.C., he obtained his wings and was gazetted a Flying Officer on the 15th February 1917.  Joining the 27th Squadron in March, he was shot down and killed at Rouvroy near Lens on the 13th April 1917 aged 21.  He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Flying Services Memorial.

Does anyone know more about the '1st Warner' prize?

Mike

IMG_1202 (1).jpg

Edited by MikeyH

Mike

The Warner Cup was presented to the member of the OTC recording the best average score when shooting for the School VIII in inter-school shooting matches.

I think what you have is the trophy retained by the winner as the Cup was held within the school.

Michael Topham was Captain of the Tonbridge VIII winning the Warner Cup in both 1913 and 1914.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

17 minutes ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

Mike

The Warner Cup was presented to the member of the OTC recording the best average score when shooting for the School VIII in inter-school shooting matches.

I think what you have is the trophy retained by the winner as the Cup was held within the school.

Dave

Dave,

Very many thanks, have passed this on.

Mike.

Dave,

Once again, thanks for the futher details.

Mike.